Adblockers

I think its like this. Example topic:

Person 1: There is a horrible ad on Neowin, please could the admins do something about it.

Person 2: I just block ads. No fuss :)

586722091[/snapback]

yep :)

But we can talk about generic ad-blocking?

"Get adblock, it's a really useful tool for those who hate those stupid flashing adverts"?

I mean, I'm all for keeping this site going, but I couldn't live without adblock (FYI: No I don't block Neowin's ads).

this has got to be one of the stupidest posts ever.

how dare you talk to us like that.

586721861[/snapback]

Um, he can talk to us anyway he likes as its his site.

Neobond has my full support. I think in the long term Neowin is going to have some extra bandwidth to play with :p

So topics/discussions such as this are still permissible as long as no specific point is made of blocking Neowin's ads, correct?

586722344[/snapback]

I think its about everything that is related on blocking ads.

I did block ads on Neowin for like 3 days to get ride of the error messages. But I felt bad. It was almost like I was kicking my kids out of the house to make life "quieter".

After a while, the site feels dead and you miss those kids.

So I brought them back. :D

But only because I love you Neobond...no one else :ninja:

From now on, people who tell others how to block ads here will be warned and moved into a flood control group with a minute wait. This includes members who gloat about blocking ads.

Profile and Sig options will also be removed (seeing as we have to pay for all that extra bandwidth on sigs).

Dont disrespect me guys because I'm fed up with it. Mods will be told about this new policy forthwith.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that this revenue keeps us online.

586721809[/snapback]

It's a shame that a certain number of members had to bring it to this, after explaining how Neowin survives with ads.

But it was needed (Y)

Radish?

If a member blocks ads and tells staff about it then that member can be warned for blocking the ads? Neobond I understand that you need ads to survive but warning a member for blocking ads?

As far as I'm concerned its their computer and if they block ads its their choice. There is no disclaimer when you register saying you cannot block ads etc.

586722763[/snapback]

people who tell others how to block ads here will be warned

Well, those who block ads aren't going to click then anyhow, so how are they harming the site ?

By whitelisting Neowin, but yet, not clicking any ads you aren't really helping...

If a member blocks ads and tells staff about it then that member can be warned for blocking the ads? Neobond I understand that you need ads to survive but warning a member for blocking ads?

As far as I'm concerned its their computer and if they block ads its their choice. There is no disclaimer when you register saying you cannot block ads etc.

Ads are a little annoying, but I comletely understand the need for them. I think Neowin has done a great job intergrating them into the layout, so they really don't cause any problems. If you don't like them, just ignore them. How hard is that?

All I can say is long live Neowin (Y)

how dare you neobond, we should be able to admit that we use adblockers (even though i don't) i just find it childish that you will be warning people who do so, very unprofessional. that's my 2cents and ill probably be banned now lol

This includes members who gloat about blocking ads.

586722812[/snapback]

then just don't?

btw i had to look up gloat. it's quite an exquisite word. might wanna rephrase that for us non-native english speaking people.

gloat  Audio pronunciation of "gloat" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (glt)

intr.v. gloat?ed, gloat?ing, gloats

To feel or express great, often malicious, pleasure or self-satisfaction: Don't gloat over your rival's misfortune.

gloat

n : malicious satisfaction [syn: gloating, glee] v 1: dwell on with satisfaction [syn: triumph, crow] 2: gaze at or think about something with great self-satisfaction, gratification, or joy

I never said I do :p I just think warning a member who blocks ads is excessive, its their computer so they should be able to browse however they want to.

586722834[/snapback]

Your right. Neobond also has the right to say not to do it on his site and if you do you will be warned. Just like it is that persons computer, it is also Neobond's site.

The "right" argument won't work here.

then just don't?

586722826[/snapback]

I never said I do :p I just think warning a member who blocks ads is excessive, its their computer so they should be able to browse however they want to.

exactly.. we pay these fee's for internet access and then we have to get these ads aswell. i'm not complaining that the ads are there, im just upset that you're telling us we can't say that we block ads or whatever

586722855[/snapback]

He can tell you you can't browse his site unless you wearing pink underwear as well. He is the owner of the site and is allowed to make the guidelines for the users visiting his site.

Do you pay "fees" to visit neowin monthly? Would you rather have a monthly charge to visit neowin, or the ads?

I never said I do  I just think warning a member who blocks ads is excessive, its their computer so they should be able to browse however they want to.

exactly.. we pay these fee's for internet access and then we have to get these ads aswell. i'm not complaining that the ads are there, im just upset that you're telling us we can't say that we block ads or whatever

ok....all you need to do is add neowin to your supported sites, problem solved for anyone who really wants to use such browser extensions. :blink:

586722859[/snapback]

exactly what i said ;)