Trying to find the right PHP editor

Question

I've always used Crimson Editor in the past, it nearlly does everything I want to, and nothing I don't want it to (no bloat) but there is one more feature I want but Crimson Editor doesn't offer it. Basically I want to be able to collapse my functions and switch statements. Eg;

If I had;

function cheese($var){
    if($var == 'cheddar'){
        echo 'Boring';
     }elseif
               // Insert loads and loads of elseifs for loads of different cheeses
}

For example. I would finish making that function, then I'd want to hide it. Like, have a little button next to the word "function" that when clicked, would hide everything up to the final } of the function, until the button is clicked again and everything comes back.

In linux I did have an editor that did that, Kate I think it was. But I can't find one for Windows.

So here's my question; Does anyone know of a text editor (no WYSIWYG stuff) that does the following:

PHP Syntax highlighting/colouring

Highlight opening and closing brackets

Tabbed interface - so I can edit more than one file at a time with just one window open.

Collapsable functions and switch statements - Like I described up there ^^

For Windows. Preferably for Windows & Linux, but just Windows will be OK.

Edit:

And an option to show line numbers. As fundamental as that sounds, you'd be suprised how many editors I've gotten through today that don't have an option anywhere to show line numbers.

19 answers to this question

I don't know any editor that does that..

I've tried an awefull lot of editors for coding php, in the end I simply returned to crimson because I find it the most usefull, complete, and uncluttered app to code with..

I even used Zend Editor but I did't like that as some of my favorite options I use with crimson didn't even work :(

Crimson Editor all the way for me!!

Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 does all of that

I love it!

But, many hardcore programmers (like me!) hate it for some reason.

It's not free though  :whistle:

586729119[/snapback]

Dreamweaver = www.bloat.com/slowloading/ugh.php

:p

Andrew179: Does SciTE have a tabbed interface for opening multiple files at once? They're site isn't particularly helpful :\

teh h4x0r5: After my most recent format I'm trying to steer away from betas - and cracked software (so it'll work after the trial) because they contributed to messing up my computer last time :p Judging by screenshots, it does look a bit bloaty though.

:p

Andrew179: Does SciTE have a tabbed interface for opening multiple files at once? They're site isn't particularly helpful :\

teh h4x0r5: After my most recent format I'm trying to steer away from betas - and cracked software (so it'll work after the trial) because they contributed to messing up my computer last time :p Judging by screenshots, it does look a bit bloaty though.

586731453[/snapback]

Yes, SCiTE has a tabbed interface. If you try it out and have any questions about features, please ask. A lot of features have to be activated / deactivated through config files.

For example, this is how I have SCiTE set up:

The link doesn't work. But Dreamweaver 8 uses up less memory than Windows Media Player, with a 5000K difference. That's a ~66% difference!

nusphere phped anyone?

version 4 simply rocks. it might not have code folding /yet.../ but all other features like great project support I can't live without, cvs, ftp, sftp, terminals etc. beat other programs IM /even zend which for me is slooooooooooow/

I've been using php for over 5 years now /started with version 0.9 before nusphere bought it/ and I'm telling you there's no better editor on the face of this planet (:

barthq: Looks like it does pretty much everything crimson editor does, but it's not free.

Trellis: It wasn't supposed to :p I was just saying it's slow loading and bloated xD

I haven't tried DreamWeaver 8, and to be honest, I don't particularly want to. I couldn't stand dreamweaver 7.