9800 XT 256 VS. X800 PRO 256

i'd say wait six months or even a year if you're patient. i just uprgraded from a 9600XT to an X800 and the diff isn't like night and day, although it is there. i'm already craving a new card!

Lee

Buy a Radeon x800GTO

The Normal x800GTO is clockable to an x850PRO and use exacly the same Core

The special edition x800GTO? is moddable to an x850XT...

They cost ~$200 USD (I got mine at 270$ CAD)...

At STOCK SPEED (cpu 1.8GHz, GFX 398 MHz / 492 MHz) I do ~4300 in 3DMark 2005

Here at TomHardware : http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/2..._charts-02.html

The x800Pro do 4652 with an AThlon 4000+ and a way better PSU than my little 300W...

damn everybody's got better 3dmarks than i do..well ,guess next payday's a new card!

586736291[/snapback]

Don't buy a new card for a benchmark, buy it for games! :cool:

i would go for the 9800 XT.

no wait, i AM going for the 9800 XT :p

586736760[/snapback]

The 9800XT is not a smart purchase, especially now. It never was to be honest, since there were always comparable cards available cheaper.

I've been doing some research on this recently, It is definately worth saving for a while longer to get at least the XL there are more pipes and it sits closer to an Nvidia 6800 GT, where as the x800 pro sits near the 6600.

The 9800XT is not a smart purchase, especially now.  It never was to be honest, since there were always comparable cards available cheaper.

586736775[/snapback]

Like what Cards ???

I would like to know!

x800 Pro is way better, as prevously written; higher clocked, more pipelines and different generation gfx. Of the two, not doubt, get x800 Pro - but also the x800 XL is not a bad bang-for-buck choice...

The 9800XT is not a smart purchase, especially now.  It never was to be honest, since there were always comparable cards available cheaper.

586736775[/snapback]

actually im still deciding what i should go for. im open for suggestions if you have any

thanks

actually im still deciding what i should go for. im open for suggestions if you have any

thanks

586736968[/snapback]

At the time, the 9800 XT was an underproduced, overpriced, slightly higher clocked version of the 9800 Pro. Now the 9800 series is two generations old and aging. The smart purchase for the mid to high range ATI user would be an X800 GT to X800 XL these days.

Just got a 6800 GT off eBay, I'm waiting for it to be delivered still though. I chose this over a x800XL because although the XL is slightly faster in most circumstances I sometimes dabble in Linux and I've always had difficulties installing the ATI drivers, I've noticed a lot of people on the boards say that nVidia cards are easier to configure in Linux.

Also, the nVidia supports PixelShader 3.0 which although may not be of much use right now, I want this to be my last AGP card so it's gotta stand the test of time for at least 12-18 months

of those 2, it's easy to choose the x800 Pro. It's just plain faster. I also never thought the 9800XT was a smart buy, but then again, I never had even half the money to afford the card at the time lol. You will notice a better improvement in performance going from a '9700 Pro' to x800 Pro