Bose Lifestyle Systems

Can someon who owns one of these systems post feedback?

I saw a tech demo at bay bloor radio (local high end theater place) and was completly wowed by it, especially that adaqptiq tecnology that automatically compensates for lousy speaker location.

But that demo was in a modest sized soundproofed room. I have no soundproofing, just drywall and a fireplace and some bookshelves to contend with, so i'm not sure how this would impact sound. It probably wouldn't because the adaptiq thing adjusted the sound even when they put the center channel in a wooden box.

But yeah, reviews please. And will there be a version out later on with 6.1 or 7.1 because its only a matter of time B4 HD DVD or Blu-Ray start shipping with these formats.

We have the lofestyle 38 system located in the middle of my store and it still sounds great. My gripes? The receiver/main unit/whatever they want it to be called is very limited in terms of expandability and extra hookups.

My neighorbor has a Bose Lifestyle 48. I helped set it up.

Let me just tell you that the sound from theses things will BLOW YOU AWAY! The calrity is amazing, and, unlike most other systems, if you turn it down low (eg for when everyone is asleep), the clarity remains there. The sound is crystal clear!

Highly recommended.

Pros: Sound, Looks, Image Quality, CDDB built-in.

Cons: No Blu-Ray/HDDVD, no HDMI interface, can't upgrade HDD.

Oh, and you get updates to the CDDB via post every month or so.

hmm...so basically its an excellent system if u want to live in the now.

but if ur future proofing ur HT, just go with a separate reciever (i.e. sunfire, denon, yamaha) and speakers (i.e. klipsch...what else r good speaker systems..systems are key..i'd like all my speakers 2 match so they look nice)

586733982[/snapback]

Well, if you want to get the same basic functionality and sound, you could get a receiver that comes with a tuning microphone to properly set up your speakers based on layout and positioning. Add to that a bose acoustimass III speaker system and it'll be almost identical in sound quality and offer expandability for the future.

hmm...so basically its an excellent system if u want to live in the now.

but if ur future proofing ur HT, just go with a separate reciever (i.e. sunfire, denon, yamaha) and speakers (i.e. klipsch...what else r good speaker systems..systems are key..i'd like all my speakers 2 match so they look nice)

I have a pair of the acustimass(the little cube ones that swivel in two parts and a sub box) speakers hooked to a kenwood reciver, and they dont sound nearly as good as my fullsized speakers. Only reason I have them is cause there so small. There great for the size, but not for the price and compaired to other speakers.

I got a pair of acoustic research speakers off the web for about $500. They were originally like $1300 and they sound great. If you want a nice home theater sound I would definitely go with full sized speakers, nothing beats them. I have had both small ones with subs and full sized, and the full sized are way more satisfying.

I've read that Bose are extremely cheap and you shouldn't buy them.  Here is a link:  http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

586739388[/snapback]

Yea, and man never went to the moon.......

Anyway, I have an old Accoustimas 6 system in my living room, an Accoustimas 3 system sitting in the closet waiting to go in my bedroom (when I get a TV in there). My dad has an Accoustimas 15 (I think), and I have a Bose system in my Tahoe. I have heard the Lifestyle systems - they are pretty darn good in my opinion. My dad's system sounds way better than mine and the Lifestyle system is even better than his. I was shocked to hear what came out of those little speakers and the bass module. I will probably get one in a couple years - after I upgrade my TV in the living room :happy:

The bonus is you don't have huge ugly speakers taking up room.

I've read that Bose are extremely cheap and you shouldn't buy them.  Here is a link:  http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

586739388[/snapback]

That's an interesting read... my dad has some nice Bose speakers - they sound great - but they'd want to for the price. You can probably do better with other brands out there, though.

I'd go for a full on home theatre system, just personal preference. The Bose setups are nice and all (dad has a wave radio), but I'm really a fan of power, which isn't something the bose systems really have alot of. I have heard the demos at the bose stores, and I have also heard one of my friends' traditional home theatre setup. There just wasn't any comparison on the bose system to feeeeling the depth charges exploding in that scene on U-571... and my friend didn't even have a subwoofer yet, just the center channel, 2 floor standing speakers on the side and the rear speakers. That and I like to tinker.

You want something that is going to shake your balls when there is an explosion or some thumpin bass. Plus, you don't want to show off some sissy toys, I mean cubes on your walls, you want to show off some massive towers!!

Yea, and man never went to the moon....... 

Anyway, I have an old Accoustimas 6 system in my living room, an Accoustimas 3 system sitting in the closet waiting to go in my bedroom (when I get a TV in there).  My dad has an Accoustimas 15 (I think), and I have a Bose system in my Tahoe.  I have heard the Lifestyle systems - they are pretty darn good in my opinion.  My dad's system sounds way better than mine and the Lifestyle system is even better than his.  I was shocked to hear what came out of those little speakers and the bass module.  I will probably get one in a couple years - after I upgrade my TV in the living room&nbsp:happy:y:

The bonus is you don't have huge ugly speakers taking up room.

586752122[/snapback]

The point of that link is to show that Bosoverpricesb> their equipment. Nothing else.

Its not that hard to believe/prove, as you can test it out. So your analogy is a little flawed:):)

Plus, you don't want to show off some sissy toys, I mean cubes on your walls, you want to show off some massive towers!!
I bet you drive a Trans Am and wear Aqua Velva! :laugh:

Get real! Bose make outstanding speakers. My cubes sound better than the vast majority of full-sized speakers and they're easy on the eyes. Nothing is uglier than 'freakin huge speakers.....that's soooo 70's.

Buy Bose.... you'll be a happy camper. Take it for what its worth but I have found that those who criticize Bose typically can't afford them. Go figure.

I sold this stuff for years and know the truth. Bose is crap compared to many other brands out there. You want proof...100% of Bose speakers have pulp-treated cones, which equals crap. They are extremely over priced as well. You can go and get a much better system for a lot cheaper at bestbuy or circuit city. ex: infinity, polk,....the list goes on. And for the bose recievers....COMPLETE CRAP!!! and i screamed that while i was typing. No upgradability, limited inputs/outputs...does it even have component now??? it didn't when i sold it last summer and i thought that was hilarious. Now for the sub, errrrr, gimme a friggn break. For those that are blown away by these systems, go listen to a quality system and you will truly see the difference and save some dough in the process.

Basically, most people get bose because they want something that will make their friends go oOooo you have Bose. When in reality they don't know the difference in quality.

Basically, most people get bose because they want something that will make their friends go oOooo you have Bose.  When in reality they don't know the difference in quality.

586752328[/snapback]

Preach it brother, preach it!

GK

"I sold this stuff for years" and "I know the truth" are obviously contradictory statements given the collective intelligence (or lack thereof) of the minimum wage + commission sales staff at virtually every audio/video store in the universe. BTW.....you forgot to mention that the commission on Bose speakers is substantially less than, say, BA or Infinity so there isn't much incentive for salesmen to push them. ;)

Arguing that Bose speakers sound like crap is like arguing that grass isn't green. It simply makes you look stupid. Bose speakers have been critically acclaimed for years by both audiophiles and the common man. They look great and they produce rich, crisp, clear sound.

One more thing; let's make the distinction between satellite systems and full-sized tower systems. They are completely different beasts and comparisons are not in order. Satellite systems, like Bose Acoustimass, are for those who want an unobtrusive system and/or face space constraints.

hm...well bearing that in mind...i can't really have 4 foot tall front towers because i want to put my speakers on a bookshelf. the largest thing i can fit is a speaker about a foot wide and a foot tall. i have unlimited room for center and rear speakers tho.

.....then you are a perfect candidate for satellite speakers. Check out Boston Acoustics, Energy, Yamaha......check 'em all out but I think you'll choose Bose. Bose Acoustimass 6 can be had for $699 and will deliver outstanding sound. If you can spare the extra ducats, go for the Acoustimass 10 or 16. In terms of receivers....determine your price point and stick with industry leaders like Kenwood, Yamaha etc.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_...und_subcategory

.....then you are a perfect candidate for satellite speakers. Check out Boston Acoustics, Energy, Yamaha......check 'em all out but I think you'll choose Bose. Bose Acoustimass 6 can be had for $699 and will deliver outstanding sound. If you can spare the extra ducats, go for the Acoustimass 10 or 16. In terms of receivers....determine your price point and stick with industry leaders like Kenwood, Yamaha etc.

586754111[/snapback]

sounds good. i had my heart set on a highend reciever but since i'm only going 2 be using satellites, i prolly won't need the kind of crazy power that those things can put out.

Since i'm not going 2 be using bose recievers, i can buy individual speakers and stuff to make a 6.1 setup rite?

The Bose Acoustimass 6 and 10 are 5:1 speakers incorporate a center, right front, left front, right rear, left rear and subwoofer. In essence, with both systems you get 5 cubes and a subwoofer. The Bose Acoustimass 12 systems includes an additional cube (satellite speaker) which I *think* is a rear center channel...probably overkill for your needs. The point is that the only thing you will need other than what is listed above is a receiver. You would certainly benefit from a high end receiver but, once again, it 'kinda depends on how much you want to spend.

I don't think Bose sell their cubes individually but you wouldn't want to buy them that way anyway. You want to buy them in sets as listed above.

Once again.....

You see, Bose speakers are uniquely mated with the base module (sub-woofer) so their speakers won't really work with other sub-woofers.

The point of that link is to show that Bose overprices their equipment. Nothing else.

Its not that hard to believe/prove, as you can test it out. So your analogy is a little flawed. :)

586752247[/snapback]

The same can be said of Apple's iPods, but look at how they sell....

I don't think Bose sell their cubes individually but you wouldn't want to buy them that way anyway. You want to buy them in sets as listed above.

Once again.....

You see, Bose speakers are uniquely mated with the base module (sub-woofer) so their speakers won't really work with other sub-woofers.

586754169[/snapback]

You may be able to add an extra sub. One of my friends has an Accoustimas 10 system hooked up to an Onkyo receiver with an extra sub and 2 extra tower speakers.

Edited by Snipe