Skywatchers await Mars close-up

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Mars is ready for another close-up as the Red Planet will swing unusually close to Earth this weekend.

"This is the best we're going to see Mars, so we should strike the iron while it is hot," said Kelly Beatty, executive editor of Sky & Telescope magazine.

On Saturday, Mars' orbit will bring it 43.1 million miles away from Earth, with its closest pass scheduled for 11:25 p.m. EDT.

The two planets -- normally separated by about 140 million miles -- will not be this close again until 2018.

Mars will still seem small to the naked eye, appearing about the size of a penny seen from 620 feet away.

The rust-colored planet will be at its brightest this weekend, and no celestial body in that part of the sky will be as luminous, Beatty said.

Most backyard telescopes will see Mars as a small, brilliant ball.

Observers with more powerful instruments might be able to discern details on the planet's surface, including its southern ice cap and white clouds.

The orbiting Hubble Space Telescope will train its eyes on Mars during the passing, snapping close-ups as it did in 2003.

post-9158-1134631266.png

source

I thought the close orbit in 2003 was the last one for quite some time... anyway, this should be an interesting sight.

Edit: Just took a look outside and it is quite amazing. I don't have a telescope myself, but just seeing it with the naked eye is pretty incredible.

Edited by j.nudd

I thought the close orbit in 2003 was the last one for quite some time... anyway, this should be an interesting sight.

Edit: Just took a look outside and it is quite amazing. I don't have a telescope myself, but just seeing it with the naked eye is pretty incredible.

586742955[/snapback]

Me too! Just came back in from my backyard, and was wondering what that bright orangish star was.

... my whole area is clouded over tonight and can't see it tonight...

586747505[/snapback]

;) One of the Laws of the Universe: rare celestial events induce cloudiness.