"Truly" anonymous email?

Question

satpak77

Hello

A friend of mine would like to report something illegal via email, however he is fearful of the email being traced back to him somehow.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to do this?

I might suggest the following, from an internet cafe or hotel business center:

1. Configuring web browser to connect via proxy in another country, THEN-->

2. Use web-based Type-II remailer such as RIOT or PARONIA to send email. Links below

http://www.gilc.org/speech/anonymous/remailer.html

https://riot.eu.org/anon/remailer.html.en

is this a good plan? This guy does NOT have access to his own computer, allowing him to run Quicksilver or Jack B Nymble. Nor is he technically inclined to do so anyway.

Or should I recommend he get a free Hushmail account, and log into from an internet cafe, etc.

comments, thoughts?

Thank You

10 answers to this question

Mando

tell him to stop smoking Skunk or freebasing and just use web based email or wear a tin foil hat.

Or another way is to let him use your email account :woot: (that way it wont be traced back to him)

Seriously though you and/or your mate needs to lay off the chemicals thats forcing him into feeling like hes an espionage agent in a secret war against radical paranoia-ism. Just watch out for those "insurgents" they seem to be everywhere these days :p

Go to net cafe sign up a totally random name and address with hotmail and bobs your mothers brother as they say he has anonymous email for the purpose.

How on earth they will trace it back to Slippy Jenkins, 29 Stoner Avenue, Weedland is beyond me and my IT skillz. (IT Network engineer)

Thats something out of a sci-fi movie.

I dont know, what is the world coming to? :whistle:

Edited by Mando
A1Capone

:angry: Tell your friend I am still waiting on my Trimestral copy of "Conspiray Theory". is already late!!! :shifty:

Qumahlin
Hello

A friend of mine would like to report something illegal via email, however he is fearful of the email being traced back to him somehow.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to do this?

I might suggest the following, from an internet cafe or hotel business center:

1. Configuring web browser to connect via proxy in another country, THEN-->

2. Use web-based Type-II remailer such as RIOT or PARONIA to send email. Links below

http://www.gilc.org/speech/anonymous/remailer.html

https://riot.eu.org/anon/remailer.html.en

is this a good plan? This guy does NOT have access to his own computer, allowing him to run Quicksilver or Jack B Nymble. Nor is he technically inclined to do so anyway.

Or should I recommend he get a free Hushmail account, and log into from an internet cafe, etc.

comments, thoughts?

Thank You

586747806[/snapback]

Your friend is overly paranoid. Just goto a cybercafe/library/etc and use webmail and thats secure enough for 99% of any users "anonymity" needs

If it was government related they could probably still find out who it was, but the chances of all that are slim to none

shawn

Tell him to jump off a building,get a soul,comeback as a ghost and then tell on the person.That's truly anoynomous.

Ferret

Like Qumahlin said, he's overly paranoid.... Just create a new email account a free service provider, from an internet cafe, and he should be pretty much sorted.

But I gotta ask, if he's reporting 'about' something illegal, what has he got to hide ?

John S.

Gmail now allows outgoing mail to read 'from' whatever you like.

Qumahlin
Gmail now allows outgoing mail to read 'from' whatever you like.

586749104[/snapback]

It always has had that ability. But it doesn't actually change the email address the person sees, it just displays what ever name you want in the from field, but they can still see your email address and they can still see the originating headers

dotRoot

Why would it matter if he used some sort of "annonymous email"...when you report a crime you always have the option to be annonymous (unless you are in some weird country that won't allow that).

Public proxies are usually transparent now anyway.

Network_Punk

I think his friend doesn't want the people/person he's reporting to find out..

Well if your friend is paranoid enough give him a liveCD linux distribution, get him to go to an internet cafe a few towns away and run it, then use a foreign proxy and free mail service to send the email.

Though if he's reporting illegal activity what if the police want to question him?

Also.. you just posted about it on a public forum.. they could easily trace you back to him... :blink:

satpak77

Hey thanks for the replies. Yes he is indeed a little paranoid, I already talked to him about that.

Nonetheless, I wanted to get a "technical answer" for my question....and I got it....

thanks again