2 more moons found

I'm not that knowledgable on astronomy, but isn't Pluto just a large ball of ice orbiting the sun? There was another "planet" found recently that was like this, wasn't there?

I'm not that knowledgable on astronomy, but isn't Pluto just a large ball of ice orbiting the sun? There was another "planet" found recently that was like this, wasn't there?

586750588[/snapback]

Well, see, that's just it, astronomy's jury has been out on deciding if pluto is indeed a planet or not. there is no uniform definition on what should be classified a planet or not.

To me a planet has to meet the following criteria:

- it has to have a core, rocky, iron,nickel, whatever.

- it has to contain at least 3 elements in its atmosphere.

These two (im sure others could attribute more), should at least be factored in when trying to judge whether a celestial object is indeed a planet or not. And so far An atmosphere has not been detected on Pluto... i believe all we know so far is that it has frozen methane.

To me a planet has to meet the following criteria:

- it has to have a core, rocky, iron,nickel, whatever.

- it has to contain at least 3 elements in its atmosphere.

586750657[/snapback]

So you don't consider Jupiter, Saturn, Mercury, etc. planets?

Jupiter meets those requirements

Saturn meets those requirements

Mercury meets those requirements

What makes you think those do no meet those requisites?

586750803[/snapback]

Mercury does not, as it has no atmosphere. Jupiter and Saturn do have an atmosphere and a small solid core (which I did not know until I clicked on your links :p).

Moon?

Nice!

Mercury does not, as it has no atmosphere. Jupiter and Saturn do have an atmosphere and a small solid core (which I did not know until I clicked on your links :p).

586750875[/snapback]

Earth, Venus, Mars, Pluto, and three of the satellites of the outer planets - Titan, Enceladus (moons of Saturn), and Triton (a moon of Neptune) have atmospheres that envelop their surfaces. In addition, the giant planets of the outer solar system - Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune - are composed predominantly of gases. Other bodies in the solar system possess extremely thin atmospheres. Such bodies are the Moon (sodium gas), Mercury (sodium gas), Europa (oxygen) and Io (sulfur).

Source - Wikipedia

It seems as if Wikipedia has some conflicting info. :happy:

Physically, Mercury is similar in appearance to the Moon, being heavily cratered. It has no natural satellites and no atmosphere, but has a large iron core which generates a magnetic field about 1% as strong as the Earth's.

Source

Even if Mercury does have a thin atmoshpere it does not include 3 or more elements.

It seems as if Wikipedia has some conflicting info.  :happy:

Source

Even if Mercury does have a thin atmoshpere it does not include 3 or more elements.

586751022[/snapback]

Mercury does have an atmoshpere: click here

well that is just MY thoughts on requirements, experts in the field may differ, however Mercury's atmosphere is replenished, although very very thin, it's there. Another thing about mercury is that it has an eccentric orbit, its density resembles very closely that of Earth's, and its core consists or mostly Iron. To me Mercury is more of a planet than Pluto. And who knows, early in it's formation it may have once had a more complex atmosphere, thought it may have been blasted away at an early stage in its life from the sun.

I thought scientist's speculated that Mercury was struck by an object 100's of km long and lost some of it's mantle?

586751348[/snapback]

It was struck, but it retains most of what was orignally there, i guess.

Mercury does have an atmoshpere: click here

well that is just MY thoughts on requirements, experts in the field may differ, however Mercury's atmosphere is replenished, although very very thin, it's there.  Another thing about mercury is that it has an eccentric orbit, its density resembles very closely that of Earth's, and its core consists or mostly Iron. To me Mercury is more of a planet than Pluto. And who knows, early in it's formation it may have once had a more complex atmosphere, thought it may have been blasted away at an early stage in its life from the sun.

586751152[/snapback]

I thought scientist's speculated that Mercury was struck by an object 100's of km long and lost some of it's mantle?

read this: planet definition

586753505[/snapback]

Very interesting read... thanks! So the problem, from what I'm reading, is everyone seems to have a different opinion about what a planet is or should be. According to the Encarta definition, Pluto would be a planet, but that definition doesn't seem to be one that some scientist agree with? Which makes sense because comets orbit the sun--not in the same fashion as Earth or Mars, but under that definition, it could be called a planet :huh:

Comets, i believe at least from what i studied. Is that they have more elliptical orbits, due to there lower mass. Sedna, has a highly elliptical orbit and hotly debated as to where it is a planet or a member of the Oort, or Kupier belt. It takes 18.500 years to complete one cycle around the sun!

• 2 weeks later...

586750588[/snapback]

Nobody really knows what Pluto is, other than it is round, massive, and ice like. but it also might have unusual elements and compounds.

Gotta wait til the Pluto Probe.

Might make a good story...

Comets, i believe at least from what i studied. Is that they have more elliptical orbits, due to there lower mass. Sedna, has a highly elliptical orbit and hotly debated as to where it is a planet or a member of the Oort, or Kupier belt. It takes 18.500 years to complete one cycle around the sun!

586753601[/snapback]

I say Sedna is NOT a planet... but Pluto should be the Yardstick. You have to be as big or bigger than Pluto for Planet-dom.

I say Sedna is NOT a planet... but Pluto should be the Yardstick. You have to be as big or bigger than Pluto for Planet-dom.

586790850[/snapback]

So you say any new bodies found in this area of the solar system should be called planets (close to 23 planets)?