2Wire HomePortal -- lost password

Question

Hello,

Using a 2Wire HomePortal 1800hw (or 1800 something) here, a router that works just fine and I haven't really had problems with it. However, recently I would like to modify the firewall settings , but it requires a password (no username, just pass). Considering that I no longer have the manual or cd, and 2wire's user guide isn't helping, what can I do? :huh:

Help is appreciated. thanks :)

11 answers to this question

Hello,

Using a 2Wire HomePortal 1800hw (or 1800 something) here, a router that works just fine and I haven't really had problems with it. However, recently I would like to modify the firewall settings ,  but it requires a password (no username, just pass). Considering that I no longer have the manual or cd, and 2wire's user guide isn't helping, what can I do?  :huh:

Help is appreciated. thanks :)

586751132[/snapback]

here's a link that should help. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12972

Hope this helps.

try your system key as your password.

586751337[/snapback]

Thanks, but the system key shows up as invalid also. >_<

Schnitzel: Yes, I have tried it. Doesn't work.

cx323: Thanks, but my hint is very unhelpful, it's just "Private." and I won't be bothered with the temporary code thing :pinch: thanks anyway, though.

)(RockerBoy : how'd you get to the reset password screen? :blink:

I can't remember my 2Wire's password. How do I get it back?

This information quoted directly from the www.2wire.com site:

Question

What if I forget my password?

Answer

When you set up your system password, you can enter a password hint. A hint is a word, phrase, or question that can remind you what the system password is. On the password entry page, there is a "I forgot my password" link. When you click this link, another page opens up which shows you your hint and allows you to enter your password.

While your hint should be descriptive enough to help you remember your password, it should be something that is only meaningful to you. For example, your hint might be "Name of first pet" (Password: Spot123). However, your hint should not be "My last name" if your password is "Smith" as it would be easy for someone to figure out your password from the hint.

If after your hint is shown to you, you still can't remember your password, there is a "I still can't remember my password" link that you can click to take you to a page to obtain a temporary password. To obtain a temporary password, you must call the support telephone number on the screen and provide the special code number that is generated by your HomePortal. The support representative will use this special code number to generate a temporary password. Once you have entered the temporary password, you can then change your password and enter an appropriate hint.

Yeah, my previous reply in this thread pretty much addressed that. The hint just says "Private" and therefore is of no use.

and I won't be bothered with the temporary code thing..

Thanks anyway

I can't remember my 2Wire's password. How do I get it back?

This information quoted directly from the www.2wire.com site:

Question

What if I forget my password?

Answer

When you set up your system password, you can enter a password hint. A hint is a word, phrase, or question that can remind you what the system password is. On the password entry page, there is a "I forgot my password" link. When you click this link, another page opens up which shows you your hint and allows you to enter your password.

While your hint should be descriptive enough to help you remember your password, it should be something that is only meaningful to you. For example, your hint might be "Name of first pet" (Password: Spot123). However, your hint should not be "My last name" if your password is "Smith" as it would be easy for someone to figure out your password from the hint.

If after your hint is shown to you, you still can't remember your password, there is a "I still can't remember my password" link that you can click to take you to a page to obtain a temporary password. To obtain a temporary password, you must call the support telephone number on the screen and provide the special code number that is generated by your HomePortal. The support representative will use this special code number to generate a temporary password. Once you have entered the temporary password, you can then change your password and enter an appropriate hint.

586752372[/snapback]

Yeah, my previous reply in this thread pretty much addressed that. The hint just says "Private" and therefore is of no use.

and I won't be bothered with the temporary code thing..

Thanks anyway

586752386[/snapback]

They your out of luck dude - cant be bothered??

I cant remember if this works, but i think that if u push the reset button on the 2wire, it will reset the password too. Not sure, dont quote me, but i think it might. Doesnt hurt to give it a try, and )(RockerBoy is right about the image he posted, that should work, make sure u are not confusing the 0(zeros) with the o (Alpha O), and i hope ur not asking for the default password so that u can get into someones wireless or something. Hope u find a way of getting into ur 2wire. Good luck.

I don't want to have to risk messing up the entire thing by inadvertently changing some setting..

586756692[/snapback]

:huh: If you can NOT remember the password - then CALL THEM! They will give you a temp password, then you can change it to whatever you want.. Which I would HIGHLY suggest you write down ;)

What would you be changing - other than the password?

The solution to your problem/question has been given.. If you too lazy to pick up the phone.. then sorry your out of luck..

Even if there was some procedure/hack/trick to change/reset the password -- um most likely this would reset the device to default.. guess what - loss of settings would be most likely..

I cant remember if this works, but i think that if u push the reset button on the 2wire, it will reset the password too. Not sure, dont quote me, but i think it might. Doesnt hurt to give it a try, and )(RockerBoy is right about the image he posted, that should work, make sure u are not confusing the 0(zeros) with the o (Alpha O), and i hope ur not asking for the default password so that u can get into someones wireless or something. Hope u find a way of getting into ur 2wire. Good luck.

586756716[/snapback]

thanks, but I can't seem to locate a "reset" button on the router. it's the homeportal 1800hw, (1800 something, anyway) IIRC.. Thanks