• Panasonic
    • Sony-Ericsson
    • Samsung
    • Hyundai
    • I do not own a mobile phone
    • Other? Please specify

i have this small one.. will bubble gum in it :p :D

Well, I had the choise of several providers in my

area. Alltel (which I had), ATT&T, Cingular, UScellular,Sprint,Nextel. Since my BOSS was providing

the phone for me (it was a deal to get me to go to a new office product machine school), I went with AT&T, which meant, Nokia, Erickson, Panasonic, Motorola. Coming from a long line of Motorola phones, I was going to get one of those, but then i spotted the Panasonic Duramax. Even after seeing the reviews, which said the audio wasn't that good, and trying the phone in the store, I went with it.

I, being a field service tech, subject this phone to extremes, dropped, kicked, splashed, hot, cold and it works like a champ. Text messaging is a snap! I use the text messaging to receive service calls so I could rid myself of a pager! (Now I have room on my belt for other goodies... :p Ring tones, games, flashy do dads weren't on my list of features to look for, but TOUGHNESS was. This phone has a nice grip to it, ruberized exterior too.

Most of the Nokia phones I looked at, were ok, but they had NiMh batteries, and I wanted the LiOn type, which is lighter and has a nice capacity. The only drawback is that the accessories are a bit lacking, as the connectors are proprietary....... One nice feature is a BATTERY COVER! Even if the cover were to come off, the battery has a slide lock to keep it in place.

Geez! I need to cut WAYYYYYY back on the Mt. Dew!

:alien:

Originally posted by naap51stang

Well, I had the choise of several providers in my

area. Alltel (which I had), ATT&T, Cingular, UScellular,Sprint,Nextel. Since my BOSS was providing

the phone for me (it was a deal to get me to go to a new office product machine school), I went with AT&T, which meant, Nokia, Erickson, Panasonic, Motorola. Coming from a long line of Motorola phones, I was going to get one of those, but then i spotted the Panasonic Duramax. Even after seeing the reviews, which said the audio wasn't that good, and trying the phone in the store, I went with it.

I, being a field service tech, subject this phone to extremes, dropped, kicked, splashed, hot, cold and it works like a champ. Text messaging is a snap! I use the text messaging to receive service calls so I could rid myself of a pager! (Now I have room on my belt for other goodies... :p Ring tones, games, flashy do dads weren't on my list of features to look for, but TOUGHNESS was. This phone has a nice grip to it, ruberized exterior too.

Most of the Nokia phones I looked at, were ok, but they had NiMh batteries, and I wanted the LiOn type, which is lighter and has a nice capacity. The only drawback is that the accessories are a bit lacking, as the connectors are proprietary....... One nice feature is a BATTERY COVER! Even if the cover were to come off, the battery has a slide lock to keep it in place.

Geez! I need to cut WAYYYYYY back on the Mt. Dew!

:alien:

omg man.. he just asked for a name :p

Originally posted by SOOPAH256

i got my Nokia 8290. at first glance (two years ago) this phone was the sh*t!

[bEGIN RANT]

but now i'm starting to realize Nokia's crappy manufacturing and design made on this phone. some of my friends and family have the same problems with theirs' (same model#). like recently, if i leave on my phone for too long, the LCD starts to fade. it needs a couple hours of off time before it gets back to normal. i know some of you probably think that i should just turn it off. BUT HEY! its a phone, and i get a lot of calls and text msgs.

[/END RANT]:D

i just advise not to buy it. at least the other earlier, bulkier ones are much better.

I'm with you on that 100%...

• 2 weeks later...

In Europe I had the Nokia 3310, Nokia 8210, Ericsson t28s, and the Sony Z5. Now that I'm stateside I have the wonderful Sanyo SCP-6000. It might even be my favorite phone yet.

SCP-6000.jpg

Believe me its not that bad. It doesn't seem too tall at all, it is only half an inch taller than the Nokia 3360, and thats antenna included, the body extends only a few tenths of an inch more than the 3360.

Originally posted by DigitalDJ

:s Antenna.. thats a dangerous break off...

Yeah if I accidentally drop my AXE on it.

I have dropped this phone several times (sad, I know) and twice it landed antenna first and all it did was cause some tiny chips and scratches.

Besides I don't believe I have ever heard a story of an external antenna breaking off of a cell phone. If they did break so easily I do think that nearly every phone would have an internal antenna.

The internal antenna was a style move for Nokia. At the time they premiered the 8000 series phones the internal antenna had never been used before. It made the phones look sleek and stylish and helped them gain their market share. Seriously, external antennas don't break off. They are metal with a plastic tip, the worst that will happen to one is it will bend, and that is if it is extended.

May I ask, how far does your cell phone experience reach, Digital DJ? Do you have personal experience in an external antenna breaking?

my friends broke once..:s

What was the make and model name of this phone? In a conversation like this specifics help.

hmm.. me use a nokia 8250...

Just curious since I never see some of the models you all mention here (e.g. 8260, 3360 and the ilk ).. What sort of networks are they for? CDMA or GSM?

erikson..dont no the model

Was this a stateside or european Ericsson phone? What did he do to make his antenna break off?

On a side note I think your whole point of the external antenna being bad to have cause it can break off is mute. Thats like me saying "Oh, I'm getting in my car to drive to work today," and my friend responding with, "Thats dangerous, your car could explode."

Basically this analogy serves to say that while an external antenna could break off and a car could explode, it is highly unlikely that it would happen and shouldn't stop you from driving or getting a phone with an external antenna.

Originally posted by Daybreak

Just curious since I never see some of the models you all mention here (e.g. 8260, 3360 and the ilk ).. What sort of networks are they for? CDMA or GSM?

The 8260 and 3360 are CDMA phones. For your reference, traditionally stateside Nokia phones ending in '9x' are for US GSM networks and ones ending in '6x' are for CDMA networks.

This is the 8260:

ph_8260_prd.jpg

And this is the 3360:

ph_3360_prd.jpg

antennas are just annoing ...y have an antenna when u can have inbuilt?!?!?!?

Geeze DigitalDJ, this is getting annoying. You avoid my questions, when you do answer them it is vaguely and your arguements are almost entirely paper-thin. I do not mean to deride you, nor is this a personal attack towards you so do not take it that way, but how can I have an intelligent conversation with you when you don't respond intelligently, or directly for that matter?

...then what exactly are they for?

forum n 1: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion 2: a public place to meet for open discussion and conversation [syn: assembly, meeting place]

Ya know....if i werent so busy laughing out loud at this supposed conversation, i may actually get ****ed and tell you both to shut up. But i won't do that. Instead i shall offer some words of wisdom. When responding to a comment, or question, or when making a statement, such as " I dont like external antennae" please provide arguments to back yourself up. Explain why you dont like them rather than a weak argument such as " they can break off".

Rather than just using vague, statements, with no real substance, thus preventing any chance of real conversation be more specific. Give details. I dont mean to criticise but after reading this thread, i have to wonder if some people even know what they are talking about.:s [/end rant]

Well since we seem to be the select few awake and browsing this forum I guess thats what it has to be for tonight.

In a minute though it'll be one less person cause I'm off to bed. Its been fun. Remember DigitalDJ; make clear, sensible and grammatically correct arguments!:D

G'Night!

Is antennae the proper plural of antenna? Seeing Keldyn write it up there made me think.

I've always used 'antennas' but if I'm wrong tell me.