• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xbox360 VGA HD Cables

MadFerIt    0

I've already preordered my set of the cables but information about them is a bit limited. Only information I've found so far is that you can use up to 1080i (of course you need a large monitor to support that resolution), as well as 720p of course.

My biggest concern about the cables is the aspect ratio. Most monitors are not widescreen so a 16:9 aspect ratio would look horrible. Perhaps it will have black bars at the bottom and top to correct this? Or does the xbox360 include an option to change the aspect ratio incase you have say an HDTV television that isn't widescreen?

Can't wait though, my television is utter crap and doesn't support HDTV, so using my monitor is really the best option. Glad they are doing it officially rather then a third party having to do it.

SkyyPunk    39

i believe, just like the original xbox, you can tell it to be widescreen or not

MadFerIt    0
i believe, just like the original xbox, you can tell it to be widescreen or not

586758918[/snapback]

Hopefully that's the case. I want my 720p ^_^.

Lingwo    490

It will be cause they'll be shutting out most of the market if they restrict it to HDTV and 16:9 because most people don't have that. Especially children.

Meshuggah    0

I don't want vga...i want dvi..... stupid microsoft

quick    2
I don't want vga...i want dvi..... stupid microsoft

586758968[/snapback]

They have HDMI, afaik.. which you can get a HDMI to DVI cable which it probably comes with. Some or at least quite a few TV's including mine is DVI, and if I had to go out and buy a HDMI to DVI cable that would cost a pretty penny and alot of people wouldn't be happy about it.

I'm assuming here, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

DVI and HDMI have the same signal, just HDMI has audio included. And also IIRC there even is a DVI cable/interface which has audio as well?

MadFerIt    0
They have HDMI, afaik.. which you can get a HDMI to DVI cable which it probably comes with. Some or at least quite a few TV's including mine is DVI, and if I had to go out and buy a HDMI to DVI cable that would cost a pretty penny and alot of people wouldn't be happy about it.

DVI and HDMI have the same signal, just HDMI has audio included. And also IIRC there even is a DVI cable/interface which has audio as well?

586758990[/snapback]

Actually they don't have HDMI sadly. HDTV will only be component for the xbox360. At least at first. And although the VGA cables aren't DVI you can get a VGA to DVI adapter, granted you won't be getting true digital connection.

I wonder how the cables connect though.. The cable from my PC to my video card isn't detachable, so I might need some kind of adapter in order to plug it into a daughter plug.

quick    2
Actually they don't have HDMI sadly.  HDTV will only be component for the xbox360. At least at first.  And although the VGA cables aren't DVI you can get a VGA to DVI adapter, granted you won't be getting true digital connection.

I wonder how the cables connect though.. The cable from my PC to my video card isn't detachable, so I might need some kind of adapter in order to plug it into a daughter plug.

586759005[/snapback]

WHOA... WTF, I can't believe it... You're right though. I thought its was a foregone conclusion with all this HDCP, which MS was on about for windows vista and WMVHD movies etc... So I take it the XBOX 360 will not allow you to play WMVHD Movies (HDCP/DRM) protected ones.... What the hell... You can't be telling me 5 years from now people aren't going to want to be doing that...?

MadFerIt    0
WHOA... WTF, I can't believe it... You're right though. I thought its was a foregone conclusion with all this HDCP, which MS was on about for windows vista and WMVHD movies etc... So I take it the XBOX 360 will not allow you to play WMVHD Movies (HDCP/DRM) protected ones.... What the hell... You can't be telling me 5 years from now people aren't going to want to be doing that...?

586759116[/snapback]

Well hopefully HDMI cables will come out eventually.. Depending on whether the decoder inside supports it.

As far as WMVHD videos I have no idea, all I know is that it supports HD WMV within Windows Media Center Extender built in. Protected one's? No bloody clue. Maybe since the PC will be the one handling those files it will still stream over with no problem. I'm not familiar enough with the format to know for certain of course.

quick    2

After reading a few things it sounds like MS has plans only once they start making HD-DVD XBOX360's down the road they will use the HDMI... Shame.

Those WMVHD Movies and such which need HDCP, when watched over say component (analog) connections like VGA etc.. will be downgraded to a lower quality or something to that effect.

Meshuggah    0

I'm glad I'm not buying these first waves of xbox 360's....I've decided to wait for the true benefits of these new hd things....But something I've been wondering about, will the hd-dvd versions have even more copy protection built into it? Possibly a DRM chip?

quick    2
I'm glad I'm not buying these first waves of xbox 360's....I've decided to wait for the true benefits of these new hd things....But something I've been wondering about, will the hd-dvd versions have even more copy protection built into it? Possibly a DRM chip?

586759148[/snapback]

Something like I guess what provides HDCP Decrytion in HDTVs, some kind of chip.

Hupp    0

HDMI cables will be out at launch, in 3rd party support. This is coming from the Microsoft Rep who came to my work to show us the 360 and let us play with a month ago.

VGA cables sadly are going to be $49.99, but hey my employee is $36...heh

quick    2
HDMI cables will be out at launch, in 3rd party support. This is coming from the Microsoft Rep who came to my work to show us the 360 and let us play with a month ago.

586759295[/snapback]

Great! :D

+vlsi0n    0
I've already preordered my set of the cables but information about them is a bit limited.  Only information I've found so far is that you can use up to 1080i (of course you need a large monitor to support that resolution), as well as 720p of course. 

My biggest concern about the cables is the aspect ratio.  Most monitors are not widescreen so a 16:9 aspect ratio would look horrible.  Perhaps it will have black bars at the bottom and top to correct this? Or does the xbox360 include an option to change the aspect ratio incase you have say an HDTV television that isn't widescreen?

Can't wait though, my television is utter crap and doesn't support HDTV, so using my monitor is really the best option.  Glad they are doing it officially rather then a third party having to do it.

586758908[/snapback]

I dont think they'll have the black bars, i remember hearing (or rather, reading) that the x-box 360 will scale it to fit depending on the 4:3 16:9 ratios.

586758990[/snapback]

Actually they don't have HDMI sadly.  HDTV will only be component for the xbox360. At least at first.  And although the VGA cables aren't DVI you can get a VGA to DVI adapter, granted you won't be getting true digital connection.

586759005[/snapback]

On MAjor Nelsons Podcast (dont remeber which, but it was a recent one) he said that they'll probably make a adpator for it to convert the plug-ins.

586759295[/snapback]

Thats good, didnt hear about that :)