• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

UK ADSL Help

Question

kinetix63    21

UPDATE: See bottom post

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me out here!

Got home yesterday to discover that the internet was down. The wireless modem/router could not train to the ADSL service on the telephone line. I've had a problem with this before, and it was a fault at BT's end. Anyhow, went through the usual BT fault finding service, and they said there was no problem their end, and to escalate it, I should go through my ISP.

Now, seeing that my ISP is Bulldog (I'm not using their 8MB services, I'm on the standard 2MB broadband on BT's internet network), I'm sure you all understand that it is nigh on impossible to get through to them.

I have had an outstanding issue with bulldog ref. payment for many many many months now, and am beginning to wonder if they've requested termination of ADSL provision to that line.

Does anybody know of any websites or anything that could tell if there is an ADSL service being provided to my telephone number? I remember that on www.bethere.co.uk - if you asked to check if the service was available it would tell you that you already have ADSL on the line, but unfortunately they removed that recently. Anyone know of anything similar?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Edited by kinetix63

18 answers to this question

Sn00pY    11

Hrm... If i recall Pipex have this... also i think Freeserve/Wanadoo have it...

kinetix63    21

Thanks Sn00pY. Just checked both using a line that I know for sure has an active DSL service, and my own line. Each time it just says "Broadband is available", doesn't say "You already have broadband" :(

kinetix63    21

Okay, I've now found a website, and it says that I have ADSL service on the line. That's one relief.

BUT, any ideas why it's not training to the line? I've changed microfilters, RJ11 cable, removing telephony devices from the line, even tried a different modem, and all cannot receive any DSL signal from the line at all. I called BT's faults line, but they say there's no problem with the line at all, and everything seems to be working fine!

Any suggestions?

crazzyyfool    29

Have you rebooted/checked your router settings. You may have to click a 'Connect' button or something within the routers interface.

If your router is still not syncing with the line then the problem seems to be with Bulldog.

kinetix63    21

Yeah, done all of that.

I'm pretty sure this is BT's problem and not bulldog's, as I'm not using their 8MB service. I'm on 2MB going over BT's own network. problem is getting anybody to do anything about it. It's impossible to get through to anyone at Bulldog, and BT don't want to know, and tell me to speak to Bulldog. It's extremely infuriating!

crazzyyfool    29

Are you able to get some info on your exchange to see if there is a fault or if it is over capacity?

crazzyyfool    29

Go here http://www.freedom2surf.net/help/ and towards the bottom right you'll see a box called 'BT Outages'. Enter your BT number and see what the results are. :yes:

Sn00pY    11

try SamKnows? or take a look on bbs.adslguide.org.uk and see if anyone else is experiencing any problems... There is also a checker on MetroNet or something (can't remember) which let's you know if there is any escalated faluts on your exchange...

good luck! :D

kinetix63    21

Thanks guys I really appreciate your help!

Nothing on adslguide unfortunately, so I'm assuming it's my problem rather than an area thing!

Checked f2s and it says there are no reported issues on my exchange, however capacity is at Amber, with an upgrade planned for 15/11/05.

Does that help at all?

Sn00pY    11

could explain some preliminary work going on before the actual upgrade... maybe? :)

kinetix63    21

Well, yeah I could understand that if perhaps others in my area were affected, but I live above a letting agents who have ADSL as well (allbeit that they use a different ISP), and they were connected without a problem. If it were a BT issue I would have expected them to be down as well?

FINALLY managed to get through to bulldog, very unhelpful. Didn't take ANY details, listened to a brief explanation of the problem and, direct quote, "BT's problem, not ours mate. Get on their case instead" where I was promptly hung up on.

God this is infuriating!

crazzyyfool    29

I would have thought you should still have your ADSL connection though. Seems to me that BT may have accidentally pulled a plug somewhere.

My exchange is currently at RED with an upgrade planned for 21/11/05 but I still have my connection.

If there is no fault on your line, I take it you still have voice calls, then the problem may be with BD.

kinetix63    21

I've got voice calls without a problem.

Managed to get through to some dork at BT faults who said that I need to go through bulldog who will subsequently go through BT wholesale, however it would appear bulldog are extremely uninterested in doing so.

Do you think if I asked BT to "reset" the line, that it might help?

Thinking about it though, I can't see how it could be Bulldog's fault if it's failing to train to the line. If it were refusing username/passwords or not picking up DNS servers or something then yeah fine, but it's not even getting a signal.

Edited by kinetix63

crazzyyfool    29

Errrm. I'm not sure what BT can reset. There doesnt seem to be a problem with your BT line unless they have pulled a plug in your exchange which has disconnected your ADSL service.

I'm pretty sure its a problem with BD. Your router is not syncing with your line which obviously did before so something has happened overnight with BD supplying your ADSL service which has caused your router to disconnect.

I recently had an outage which was BT's fault. Apprently half of my city was without telephone lines. Voice calls were restored within an hour but ADSL wasnt restored until 6 hours later.

Do BD have some sort of service status or troubleshooting section on their website. You may be able to view info about your ADSL service if they do.

Edited by thefunkymunky

an4rew    0

In extreme cases they would cease your line, but not without prior warning.

Usually they would just disable your password, but your modem should still sync.

kinetix63    21

Well after 3 calls to BT and 2 to Bulldog, it is finally rectified. Appears that BT were upgrading the exchange capacity and preparing to allow LLU providers in to the exchange. One of their engineers left something unplugged. All is now sorted, thank god!

crazzyyfool    29

Glad you got it sorted matey. Typical BT eh. :rolleyes:

kinetix63    21

Yeah, you're telling me! I really do appreciate all of your help!