Pics of my fish

Just thought I'd share a few pics of my tank and fish. It's a 90 gallon freshwater tank and has African Cichlids in it (the 2 Severum are South American Cichlids). Thanks for looking!!

Tank Shot:

tank2hz.th.jpg

Taiwan Reef (his female just spit 30 fry a few days ago)

dsc015142qt.th.jpg

dsc014030hf.th.jpg

Sciaenochromis Fryeri (Starting to color up nicely)

dsc014494yh.th.jpg

dsc014024eo.th.jpg

Aulonocara sp. "German Red"

dsc013980qw.th.jpg

Gold Severum

dsc013964wh.th.jpg

Subdominant male Yellow Lab

dsc014075pv.th.jpg

OB Peacock (Slightly blurry)

dsc015131ua.th.jpg

dsc015093rv.th.jpg

dsc014930bi.th.jpg

dsc014060qt.th.jpg

Metriaclima Callainos

dsc015043wj.th.jpg

Turd Furgason (My elderly Green Severum)

dsc014447ts.th.jpg

They are IMO the most colorful freshwater fish, but they are also very territorial, so it's best to keep them only with other African Cichlids.

Nice fish, !!

I'd like a setup like that one day, hey you should setup a 24h webcam lol

EDIT:

I like this yellow guy

andBlue Guy and also the small one with the blue face at the top of the tank here

Edited by accesser

Nice fish, !!

I'd like a setup like that one day, hey you should setup a 24h webcam lol

EDIT:

I like this yellow guy

andBlue Guy and also the small one with the blue face at the top of the tank here

586765284[/snapback]

Thanks! The yellow guy is a little bit less common. He is actually specially bred to have that deeper orange color. Normal fish of his species are a bright yellow.

The blue guy is very common. You can probably even find one at your local aquarium store. He is called a Cobalt Blue.

The big guy with the blue face is a Red Fin Borleyi. He's a beast at 13".

if you want more info, you can go to here. Mine are Lake Malawi Cichlids.

Wow. How much in total did the setup cost ?

I have fish but only gold fish. They are pretty big, around 15-20cm big.

586765318[/snapback]

I think it cost over $1000 total, but it's hard to guess because I had most of the filtration for years from other tanks. The tank itself was about $280. Plus all the filtration is about $350, gravel, rock and decorations about $100, lighting about $150, $60 heater, and then a couple hundred on fish. I did this cheaply too because a: I work at an aquarium store and got some discounts and b: I cut some corners like using a shoplight for my lighting fixture, using pool filter sand for gravel, and using a huge workdesk I had laying arround for a stand.

Yeah, goldfish get huge!! They are messy too. In many ways they are harder to take care of than tropicals because of all the waste and ammonia they produce.

Nice fish! As a little kid I could only have fish because my dad is alergic to over 1000 things (not kidding) so most pets I coulen't get, was always so let down about only having fish but your fish look pretty cool. congrats man!

The tank itself was about $280. Plus all the filtration is about $350, gravel, rock and decorations about $100, lighting about $150, $60 heater, and then a couple hundred on fish.

586765452[/snapback]

$60 seems like alot of cash for a heater you can pick up a superb 300 watt for $25 $30 that would take care of the tank

What kind of filtration do you have?

$60 seems like alot of cash for a heater you can pick up a superb 300 watt for $25 $30 that would take care of the tank

What kind of filtration do you have?

586765475[/snapback]

$60 is expensive, but I got it from my store and we have hight prices. It's a 300w Rena Topcal. Keep in mind these are Canadian prices too.

I've got a Fluval 404, two Aquaclear 300's, two Aquaclear 200's, and a couple of powerheads on there. I plan on adding a Rena XP3 soon though. I'm filtration crazy :wacko:

How much time do you need to spend on it?

How often do you like have to take them all out and clean the tank n stuff like that

586765489[/snapback]

I spend a couple of hours a week on it. I never have to take them all out. I just do partial 30% water changes 2-3 times a week. That's more than is needed though, once per week would be enough. I breed them and lots of water changes keeps them breeding like crazy.

Thats like 1400 GPH and that would filter you tank about 15 times an hour so thats pretty good not really excessive (well maybe if you added the rena it would be)

I would invest in a 3 or 4 stage RO unit if you dont alredy have one they really are awesome especially when your doing such big water changes or if you ever decide to get into saltwater :yes:

I would def love to have a saltwater fish tank.... my friend had a really nice setup... seems it was very expensive and very high on maintenance... we'll see how everything goes... nice setup though...

I would def love to have a saltwater fish tank.... my friend had a really nice setup... seems it was very expensive and very high on maintenance... we'll see how everything goes... nice setup though...

586767090[/snapback]

I wouldnt call it expensive it does cost more to start but you have to bargain shop. All the pet shops in this area have about 100% markup on everything (except tanks) :wacko: so I do all my shoping online from Doctors Foster and Smith

The maintenance isnt too bad you just have to beable to test water yourself daily (takes under 2 or 3 minutes)

Edited by Tiger.Girl

Thats like 1400 GPH and that would filter you tank about 15 times an hour so thats pretty good not really excessive (well maybe if you added the rena it would be)

I would invest in a 3 or 4 stage RO unit if you dont alredy have one they really are awesome especially when your doing such big water changes or if you ever decide to get into saltwater :yes:

586767049[/snapback]

Haha. I don't really feel the need for an RO unit as they are just too expensive for me to justify buying. I do plan on building a sump out of a spare 33 gallon I have laying arround though and perhaps adding a FBF.

I'm not really interested in saltwater either because of the fact that most of the fish are wild caught and won't breed in captivity. As well as the damage it does to the environment, especially on the reef side of things. I actually saw a show on the National Geographic channel about the huge nagative effect the hobby is having on the reefs. Due to overfishing for food and the hobby and bleaching from the thin ozone layer, 50% of the worlds reefs could be gone in 10 years. I don't really want my hobby to have such a negative effect on such a sensitive ecosystem.