yum

Why is yum so slow? Doing a yum list *php* can take up to half an hour!

I run linux under a virtual machine. Things may run differently if I ran them under a real machine. Everything else runs at a great speed on the VM and its cpu usage is usually under 10%.

Why is yum so slow?

If I am just searching I dont need it to redownload package lists etc.

Is there anything that can speed it up?

Well you can't really speed up yum with a tweak I don't think. I have been pressing people on RedHat distros to use Apt4RPM instead of yum. It is faster as well, because it doesn't reacquire a new package list until told to do so and it parses the list much faster.

I have both yum and apt4rpm on my Fedora box. Yum takes about twice as long (I think it completely re-reads and re-processes all the headers from scratch every time), but it does not take a half hour for anything! When I use yum, it just goes on in the background, so I don't care if it takes 1 minute or 2 minutes.

I think you may have other things going on there, as 30 minutes is not normal. What was the command that takes so long, or is it everything? Does a yum update take that long, too?

yum update doesnt take as long.

The command was yum list perl*

I think there might be a bit of network lag on the virtual machine but it shouldnt slow yum down as much as it does

I have never used "yum list". If I am searchign the online repos, I would use yum search perl. It is quick. For checking installed apps, I would use rpm -qa | grep perl to query all items from the rpm database, and filter only hits containing "perl". Also fairly quick.