CCleaner Cripples Application Load Times

Question

Personally, I don't like programs that mess with prefetch stuff. I always leave it unchecked in CC. I've had it where layout.ini was deleted and I could never get prefetching to work again unless in reinstalled windows.

EDIT: I will sometimes clean out stuff from there manually. Like I'll run a program once and windows will prefetch it. Kinda useless then.

Kinda of insulting article. CCleaner author has written a light, useful app that is of great assistance to many people including myself. Just uncheck the damn box and be done with it!

I looked at the options in ccleaner a while ago and saw that it was set to delete prefetch data. I unchecked it then because I figured that was bad.... I don't know why they would keep it on by default.

because i just uncheck the box. this would only be a big thing if ccleaner didn't allow you to do that, but it does.

But what about the people that don't understand this?

The action is checked as default. If anything, this should be an option not a default action. If the prefetch info is correct and if the maker of CCleaner knows about it then I would have to say this is a pretty sh*tty thing to leave in. There should have been a update/fix for this right away.

Until this issue is resolved I guess I'll stay away from CCleaner. There are far better cleaners out there that aren't as sloppy.

well, from what I'ved read, the CCleaner owner knows about this problem and refuses to acknlowedge it. What else does CCleaner do that I don't know about? Why should I trust something that is so obviously wrong.

and yes, there are other programs that are just as good and are also free

I don't understand why they don't just examine your prefetch file and delete those programs that are not on your system anymore. This can't be that difficult to do. This way only unused programs get deleted not the whole thing.

Perhaps the Layout.ini file can also be done this way.

puhlease.

If you can't find other free cleaners then maybe you shouldn't be using them.

:laugh:

586771720[/snapback]

This is a forum to help other users, not be a jerk and make flippant comments. I understand you haven't been around too long, so i'll let it slide.

In my opinion, ccleaner is a good app, but like all powerful apps, you can damage your system (slightly) with it if you don't know what you are doing. If you're such a newb that you don't know what all those settings implications are, I suggest you stay away from ANY such "cleanup" tools as you are sure to do something dangerous. Leave it to the pros.

This is a forum to help other users, not be a jerk and make flippant comments. I understand you haven't been around too long, so i'll let it slide.

In my opinion, ccleaner is a good app, but like all powerful apps, you can damage your system (slightly) with it if you don't know what you are doing. If you're such a newb that you don't know what all those settings implications are, I suggest you stay away from ANY such "cleanup" tools as you are sure to do something dangerous. Leave it to the pros.

586771803[/snapback]

Well said (Y) and I so agree! :)

I understand you haven't been around too long, so i'll let it slide.

yea, thanks for that

If you're such a newb that you don't know what all those settings implications are, I suggest you stay away from ANY such "cleanup" tools as you are sure to do something dangerous. Leave it to the pros.
Safety and Security:

CCleaner was designed from the ground to be safe and secure to use. It has multiple levels of checks in place to ensure that it cannot delete any useful information or documents you may still need.

hmmm strange that...I guess 'newbs" shouldn't beleive everything they read....

besides. I'm not here to argue with you. I am only giving out important information. Let people decide themselves what to use.

Edited by pickleman

so if i delete the prefetch stuff with ccleaner apps might take a bit longer to load a couple of times untill the prefetch data gets put back their by windows.

hardly a major problem now is it!

That's a good read. I'll disable that option in the future. But just because this application has one option that's iffy doesn't mean it's a bad program. I'll keep using it because it's a good tool to have.

I for one, have unistalled CCleaner. It actually for me, has slowed my system down by the files it deletes. I'll stick to other "cleaners" out there that actually know what their doing, thank you. :)

I for one, have unistalled CCleaner. It actually for me, has slowed my system down by the files it deletes. I'll stick to other "cleaners" out there that actually know what their doing, thank you. :)

586772416[/snapback]

But all you have to do is un-check one option. I don't think that's really hard to do, but eh - your choice.

Kinda of insulting article. CCleaner author has written a light, useful app that is of great assistance to many people including myself. Just uncheck the damn box and be done with it!

586771534[/snapback]

Kind of more insulting that the authors deny the facts and giving users the default option of degrading their computers.