neowin.net = too slow

Well when a site gets national TV coverage then you usually expect it to get hit a little. If you want to stop moaning and contribute the cash to buy us a dedicated server feel free!

Yup, Neowin has slowed down recently and I've checked the main page and there are only 400 users connected... same as usual. Please don't slow down anymore or I'll have to change my homepage to a faster site [but I'll of course still visit... when I've got an hour or two spare :p].

I think Hosttyme are having a few probs in general, I have been checking out there site a lot recently because I am tempted to buy hosting from them, and it seems both there website and other sites they host are slow at the moment. I read something about a software upgrade in their forums, maybe it is that.

NOTE: The opinions expressed above are my own personal view, I know nothing about the current internal workings of either Hosttyme or Neowin. If someone can correct me with better reasons feel free.

The front page loads really slow, the boards are very fast for me.

How can that be? If it is the server, wouldn't the whole site be slow?

Is this the same Tyme from GeekTalk? If so...Tyme...will u marry me?

She's gorgeous! :) :)

There has been a few threads already about this, there is a problem, yes, a solution is being found asap. The problem is the front page has far more users on it than the forums, and used to have far more sql queries. The number has been reduced. but its still slow. Basically we are outgrowing out mySQL database, it cannot cope with what we are asking it, so we have to come up with a different solution, we have some ideas. Also, the users online figure is no longer shown, the one on the forums page, is only the forums.

In reply to the previous posts:

What connection speed is neowin.net's host at? 56k? This is way too slow
Server is located in hosttyme's NOC linked by Dual OC-3 (about 330mbs)
If you want to stop moaning and contribute the cash to buy us a dedicated server feel free!

We have one now, dual p3-933/1gb ram

I am tempted to buy hosting from them, and it seems both there website and other sites they host are slow at the moment
Hosttyme is fine at the moment, the problem is us
Is this the same Tyme from GeekTalk? If so...Tyme...will u marry me?

Yes, thats yes she is the one from geektalk, dont know whether she will marry you :p

Hope this helps you out, anyone that wants to know more details about the problem, my email is tingle@neowin.net

tingle

Our God, Tingle, has spoken... thank you. I've found a way to speed it up... print out all the news and post it to us. :p

Anyway, keep up the good work. Also, I came across this nutter [;)] that when I asked said we could use his computer with OC-12 connection [incase you don't know this speed connection SMOKES!] for a Counter-Strike server... wow. Not that this helps you, just to say that there are some nice nutters about.

does your friend fancy letting us use his connection :p all we need now is a database server with about 2gb ram or something, and a web server, but we already got that :p

A nice OC-12 connection is always nice, as in about 0.5Gbs lol)

tingle