Xbox360's Black Screen of Death!

Agent21KGB posted the first picture of the Xbox 360 error/crash screen on our forums. A bit similar to the original Xbox error screen, it asks to contact the Xbox Customer Support and gives an 'Error Number' to help identify the problem:

So I went to the local Wal-Mart and walk on the 360 display and was like well I'll see If I can get a better look at this deal since few people were in the place. I turned the corner and found the Contact Xbox support screen. The xbox was blinking red and claiming error 74.

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

Source: Xbox-Scene.com

The xbox 360s that are in walmart, bestbuy or any other store are the final products. The problem is they are are 13+ hours a day and since its a new console people are playing the heck out of it. Plus the fact there in a small area without alot of ventilation this is bound to happen.

wow.. in xbox errors only goes upto "21".. there must be lot of error numbers in xbox 360.. anyway xbox can also blink red and green if the A/V cable is unplugged so that is also a possibility.

you think the xbox 360 is completely done? and no more work is going into the product?

Hmmm i would sorta hope so but then again i dont wanna believe it. Seeing how its going to be out in a few weeks

does make sense. But those walmart xboxs i dont think are final. Some have flaws like the picture and Error codes

i would think they are still pre mass production

you think the xbox 360 is completely done? and no more work is going into the product?

Hmmm i would sorta hope so but then again i dont wanna believe it. Seeing how its going to be out in a few weeks

does make sense. But those walmart xboxs i dont think are final. Some have flaws like the picture and Error codes

i would think they are still pre mass production

586775512[/snapback]

I'd hope to God they're done with them and are shipping them now. Two more weeks till launch.

wow.. in xbox errors only goes upto "21".. there must be lot of error numbers in xbox 360.. anyway xbox can also blink red and green if the A/V cable is unplugged so that is also a possibility.

586775489[/snapback]

I doubt we'd be able to see an error code if the A/V cable wasn't plugged in :p

Either way, no biggie...I doubt I'll be seeing that screen anytime soon with my system

I really find it annoying that just because it's made by Microsoft it gets the "<insert color> Screen of Death" added to it. It's like if I grabbed a PS2 game and scratched up the disk, then stuck it in the system and called the error screen a Whatever Color Screen of Death. There were pretty much no stability/crashing problems with the first Xbox at all but they *still* get the bad name because of Windows 98 :(

not realy a screen of death is it.

Its jus an Error Screen. how are you ment to diagnose the problem if your console breaks down for some reason with out seeing some form of infomation on the screen.

woudl you like microsoft to put pretty lights on the next xbox to diagnose the problem.

Then they would proberly get called the (insert colour here )lights of death

The xbox 360s that are in walmart, bestbuy or any other store are the final products. The problem is they are are 13+ hours a day and since its a new console people are playing the heck out of it. Plus the fact there in a small area without alot of ventilation this is bound to happen.

586775467[/snapback]

if the console can not handle the few hrs of play a day. then its a console that not ready for main stream gamers.

there is nothing worong with the xbox360, any excuse to slam microsoft ehhh

(Plus the fact there in a small area without alot of ventilation this is bound to happen.)

its not like you are going to have your xbox360 inclused in a unit like the demopods is it!

if the console can not handle the few hrs of play a day. then its a console that not ready for main stream gamers.

586775807[/snapback]

13+ Hours in a tight cramped space is a few hours of play?

A crash doesn't necessarily mean overheating (though when continuously running any type of computer in a closed space with no ventilation, crashes aren't that abnormal). I know for sure that the Call of Duty 2 demo they're using is "pre-release", so it could very well be the cause of beta code in some game.

consoles are supose to be in small cramped spaces. there shouldnt be any special handling instructions for this console compared to all the rest of them.

it sounds like microsoft once again fails to understand the concept of concoles.