Does anyone have the Canon S2?

I'm seriously looking at getting the Canon S2 5MP digital camera with 12x zoom

Anyways, how do you like it? any opinions?

Edited by caveman017

I dont have this SLR-Like camera

However, compared to competition Panasonic DMC-FZ5 and also Fujifilm S5200 to only name these one, I'd buy the S2 easily. Price is generally higher than panasonic and fujifilm but the anti shake option on the canon make is more useful when using the zoom.

if money is more important, the the 3 are wonderful products.

My personnal choice is the Fujifilm as I had the s5000 in the past and never got a wrong opinion of this product!

Link for side-by-side comparison

On a side note, if you would like to shoot something in movement, the fujifilm has a slightly faster shutter with a 1/4000s compared to the 1/3200s for the Canon S2

If you like to have the tool that canon has, which is the moving LCD display to show pics to others, that's a good +

good shopping

i have the s2 and i like it in my opinion. the image stabilization is a great help in many situations, since im sure a lot of people dont have tripods and even if they do they dont carry them evrywhere...

I think you can get Second hand DSLRs for the price of that, look around for a 300D, or a D60 or somthing.

586780404[/snapback]

D60 isnt digital.. unless you meant D50 :)

I have the Canon S2 IS and I am very happy with it. The image stabilization is great and really makes a difference when using the zoom. It is very flexible in that you can use it as a point and shoot (with an incredible zoom), or use the manual controls and and get the optimal picture for just about any situation. The video is records is pretty amazing too.

The only two things that I don't like are the flash (you have to manually lift the flash up) and the fact there is no battery monitor (you are never quite sure how much battery life you have left - good thing it uses AA batteries).

This is my third Canon camera and at some point I'll eventually move up to a DSLR. (Went from a Powershot A20 to a Powershot A80 to the S2 IS)

what mode do you use?

586782642[/snapback]

as I said, use the shutter priority mode and increase the speed maximum which is 1/3200s for the canon S2. This way, you will fix something in movement

• 4 weeks later...

as I said, use the shutter priority mode and increase the speed maximum which is 1/3200s for the canon S2. This way, you will fix something in movement

At times in my S2 I cannot set the speeds you have mentioned (1/3200s) even in shutter priority mode. It doestn go beyond 1/1600 i guess.

Any idea why ?

PS: The s2 is a really good camera. i am new to photography but it gives me an option to try stuff in different auto modes and also has an option of manual modes once i get the hang of things...good camera...you may want to look at Sony DSC H1 too in that category

well, i just bought a Fz5 recently. Probably one of the best i've ever had since my fujifilm finepix. May not be as good as the S2IS, but it works. Bought a Hoya UV and CPL filter to compliment the camera.

And to mention this, the fz5 also has an image stabilsation unit..the mega o.i.s. pretty neat i must say :D

i took some pics and uploaded it to my photoblog.

:)