My Digital Camera adventure

So I'm looking for a good digital camera - I'm not too specific about quality but i want something that can output sharp images with as little noise as possible, and I want to be able to get decent night shots (I mean night shots inside a city where there is a certain amount of light - not IR or anything like that).

First I thought of a brand and Canon came up. I'm sure there are others, but people keep talking about this one, and reading through specifications and comparisons it kept coming first.

Then I went to the DSLR section, Canon EOS 350D to be more specific. I was really impresed by this model (excelent quality and a good price, compared to newer or more expensive models), but then I thought that this is a little bit too professional (though that low noise, the interchangeable lenses et al keep bugging me).

However I don't suppose you can take movie clips with a DSLR so I guess I'll just have to stick to something lower: CANON PowerShot Pro1 ? i don't know if this is lower, but it sure is cheaper (and it features movie clips). No DSLR (thats a big minus) but it looks like a good compromise solution because of all the other features. So, do you guys think this was a good choice, or do you have other suggestions ?

I decided to leave the DSLR market on halt for the moment, but I took your advice and found a very well appreciated camera model: Nikon Coolpix 8700 or the more expensive Nikon Coolpix 8800. I think this is a better decision. Thanks for the hint