Cannot get the right color balance

My family has a Sony Vega TV and I've been trying to get the color balance right. I'm at school right now and won't be home for a week so I'm doing this by memory.

When watching cable TV, the colors seem to be fine. But, when I switch over to Xbox Media Center (or other video inputs), all the colors are messed up. When watching movies, certain colors will be washed out until I change the color and hue balance. But if I change it, another color will be washed out. When playing Halo, green and blue look very similar. When my friends and I play in teams, you gotta read the color to join the right team because none of the colors look correct.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Thanks.

-Matt

Got any large non-magnetically-shielded appliances nearby?

If this is the case, try turning the TV off, moving into the middle of the room, turning it on, off again, and then putting it back. (Off, not Standby).

No appliances near by, just two walls. This color problem has been with us since day one. I'm trying to get help now because I'm officially fed up.

I heard that color calibration is a must with newer TV's....maybe I fit into this category?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, that's going to be an LCD Projection. What kind of cables are you using to connect your Xbox? Composite (red, white, yellow) or component (red, green, blue and red, white)?

Widescreen LCD TV. I can't remember that exact model name of the Vega, but it's like 55 inches if that even helps.

Since I don't see a problem while watching regular TV, maybe the trouble is with the XBOX cables or something? Just a thought.

Component (The HD AV cable pack). It's hard describing the problem, when I'm not in front of the TV. I'm at school right now so am doing this by memory. Maybe I switched one of the cables by mistake?

I think as a test, I'll try the regular composite cables and see what the color looks like then when I get back home.

What do you think?

well got it fixed. All I had to do was go back to Best Buy and replace the XBOX HD AV Pack and everything is working fine now. I'm so glad it wasn't the TV. Thanks everyone for the help.

-Matt