Where can I buy some Sodium Iodide?

Seriously, this is no joke. I want to buy some Sodium Iodide (NaI) because I need to duplicate DNA, of course! Polymerase chain reactions obviously.

Ok I lied, lol. Even if I am using it for practical joke purposes, I'm a biologist/chemist in training, so I know what I'm doing with the compounds. I just need to know where in USA (north east please), can I buy NaI? I guess Potassium Iodide would work, but I'd rather have Sodium Iodide. Do you think a drug store like Eckerd or Walgreens would sell it?

I don't need a large amount of the compound. I know where to buy it in London, but thats of no use to me as I want it here. So fellow American science experimenters, where do you obtain your chemicals?

Seriously, this is no joke. I want to buy some Sodium Iodide (NaI) because I need to duplicate DNA, of course! Polymerase chain reactions obviously.

Ok I lied, lol. Even if I am using it for practical joke purposes, I'm a biologist/chemist in training, so I know what I'm doing with the compounds. I just need to know where in USA (north east please), can I buy NaI? I guess Potassium Iodide would work, but I'd rather have Sodium Iodide. Do you think a drug store like Eckerd or Walgreens would sell it?

I don't need a large amount of the compound. I know where to buy it in London, but thats of no use to me as I want it here. So fellow American science experimenters, where do you obtain your chemicals?

586780560[/snapback]

I think drug stores might be selling Iodine by itself and you many have to prepare a batch yourself if nothing else works

I think drug stores might be selling Iodine by itself and you many have to prepare a batch yourself if nothing else works

586780640[/snapback]

i would not recommend making your own batch at home...if you dont have the proper ventaliation your poisoned...if it reacts to something around u....KABOom

Oh trust me, I'm not going to make my own NaI at home.. I don't have half the necessary apparatus needed to make mine.

I was considering large scale vendors, but would they be willing to sell one bottle? Also, how do I find out the names of these companies? Ask my chemistry professor? lol

Thanks for those links. I found them on google too, but unfortunately they only ship to Schools and Laboratories. :(

I guess I should try drug stores, huh? Or find a laboratory and sneak some out.

Dammit! I have Hydrogen Peroxide, I just need some NaI.

No terrorist activity :shifty:

I would think that a "biologist/chemist in training" would be able to obtain it from the school chem lab :whistle:

You may check larger equine / livestock stores. Iodine is used to put on the wounds of animals. Most farmers like the crystalized iodine because it isnt as messy.

If you are anywhere near Missouri - It may be pretty hard to obtain since iodine is one of the ingrediants in making methamphetamine [used in 1 of 2 processes]. Missouri is #1 in USA for meth manufacturing - all ingrediants are getting REALLY hard to obtain.

Good luck

B

NO I'm not a meth dealer - my job is dealing with meth labs and the dumbasses who make it