• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Invision Power Board vs vBulletin

IPB or vBulletin?  

334 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question

xGokux    0

Im having a hard time thinking of which one to get. What do you guys think is a whole lot better?

bakerster    0

personally a fan of el invisiono powero boardo.

Tomi    0

IPB. ;)

Fedorpheux    0

I'm guessing that more people here will support Invision Power Board. Personally, I have more experience with IPB than VBulletin so I would say IPB, but I'm a tad biased.

Plus, for my sites, I don't use either of these two. :whistle:

Neil    3

Use to use VBulletin but IPB has come a long way in recent months with 2.0 and 2.1.

Altough I feel that phpBB is actually the best, since it has the biggest user base of mods and skins, altough the 2.0.x codebase is very dated, altough what ever people say it is sercure.

Aokromes    230

IPB for me.

Nix    0

I say VB. The plugin in system is great for mods. Usually no file edits.

Quillz    1,011

I much prefer vBulletin, but there isn't really a "better" system. What vB is good at is IPB's weaknesses, and etc. For example, vB has the awesome plug-in system, but IPB has the module system, so you can easily add in the blog, gallery, etc.

Tomi    0

Modders are the blame for IPB's "weakness", as the module system has been there for a while there, it's just that they're not choosing to use it. ;)

fuBar.    0

Even though I use IPB, I would rather use vB due to better features.

xGokux    0

Well... Yea. I'll probably go with IPB. Its a lot easier to use for myself. But its getting better and better every time they make a new version or upgrade it.

strekship    16

IPB. I don't really like the way vB does things.

Foueddy-F    0

IPB all the way. IPB is twice cheaper and after your 1 year license has expired you can still have your board running. For vB, after your 1 year license has expired, you need to remove your vB board >.<

James B    0

IPB all the way. IPB is twice cheaper and after your 1 year license has expired you can still have your board running. For vB, after your 1 year license has expired, you need to remove your vB board >.<

For me, my post I'm typing now is a good example, or maybe not!

I am used to clicking quote on vBulletin to be taken to a new box with the quote in it, ready to reply. It took me a while to work out that you click quote, then reply and the quote is in the box. This is the first one I've got right.

However, this (IPB) makes more sense I think.

I contributed to a vB site for a year or two and it seemed the best choice for my site. I quite like IPB posting more here, but I'm still leaning towards vB for my next project.

If you buy the leased license you have to remove it after a year or pay again, but you continue to get the updates. As this is the case, I'll probably run a script on my current site to convert the database to phpBB and then from phpBB to MyBB as I'm really happy with it.

I considered an owned license, but if they release a new version after the first year you can't just download it.

Danrarbc    1

For me, my post I'm typing now is a good example, or maybe not!

I am used to clicking quote on vBulletin to be taken to a new box with the quote in it, ready to reply. It took me a while to work out that you click quote, then reply and the quote is in the box. This is the first one I've got right.

However, this (IPB) makes more sense I think.

You only have to click the reply button under the post you want to quote to quote it. I just did that.

To summarize the quote button only selects multiple posts for quoting now, the reply button is what the quote button used to be. And to add a post with no quote click Add Reply at the top or bottom of the page.

Leddy    0

Not another one of these threads, I have to say that a significant portion of this forum consists of IPB vs. vB polls.

But now that i'm here, i'll cast my vote for IPB.

James B    0

You only have to click the reply button under the post you want to quote to quote it. I just did that.

To summarize the quote button only selects multiple posts for quoting now, the reply button is what the quote button used to be. And to add a post with no quote click Add Reply at the top or bottom of the page.

Oh yeah...

The little reply under the post does just that, and the 'Add Reply' button at the end of the page does an empty reply.

The function of the quote button you describe sounds much better than the vB one, and now I know I'll probably start to use it. :)

I've got to decide on vB or IPB over Christmas as I want users to have a single log in on a new site, for the forum and things like email alerts on articles, newsletters, custom portal home views of the site etc. The vB community support for add ons, mods etc seems quite good. I hadn't thought of IPB before, but having been on Neowin a lot and seeing more of it might check it out now.

Liger    0

depends imo.

vb is pretty powerful and safe but is hard to use

IPB is easy to use/setup.

MeleFire    0

VB all the way man

depends imo.

I don''t agree

really cool admin panel easy to use and owned lisence is cheaper

Neil    3

depends imo.

I agree with that, they are both easy to setup but I find VB has a harder admin panel.

Computer Guru    3

Kind of OT: I just set up a MyTopix forum...

Admin CP is lacking in features compared to either VB or IPB, but it is so much more sleek and easy to use :yes:

Rerven    0

Of course, I'd like to vote for IPB. Just like it!

Zelath    0

I have used forums using both IPB and vBulletin. And I prefer IPB over vBulletin. I just wish they did not remove the free version of IPB.

Timan    554

First you need to ask yourself, what do you plan on doing with your forum?

If you just want a quick easy to setup forum, and plan on not changing anything (including basic color changes), then stick with IPB.

But if you want a forum, that you can customize like crazy and have full control over, you'll want to look into vBulletin.

Quillz    1,011
First you need to ask yourself, what do you plan on doing with your forum?

If you just want a quick easy to setup forum, and plan on not changing anything (including basic color changes), then stick with IPB.

But if you want a forum, that you can customize like crazy and have full control over, you'll want to look into vBulletin.

IPB and vB are very similar to one another. Each are very easy to customize and modify. I agree that IPB takes a little quicker to set up, but that doesn't mean it can't be as "advanced" as vB. While vB may have more overall features, it also lacks some features that IPB has, which are arguably more powerful.

chconline    158

IPB, its 1337 :p