Invision Power Board vs vBulletin

IPB or vBulletin?  

334 members have voted

1. 1. IPB or vBulletin?

• Invision Power Board
    • vBulletin

Question

Im my opinion, vBulletin is just slightly better, because of it's skinning system, and the fact that it was the first to introduce most of the features that are in IPB also.

Also IPB is very expensive. For no reason.

Im my opinion, vBulletin is just slightly better, because of it's skinning system, and the fact that it was the first to introduce most of the features that are in IPB also.

Also IPB is very expensive. For no reason.

$185 isn't much more than $160, and what do you mean it has no reason? IPS needs revenue so they can continue to develop IPB and make it better.

VB is kinds messy and not very user friendly as compared to IPB.

Messy in what sense? I don't think the ACP is laid out as well as it could be, but the coding in vB is quite organized and easy to follow. And I find the learning curve to be the same as that of IPB.

I wished I found this thread earlier. I paid $220 CAD for vB, and I can't believe IPB is only $60 and got more votes from Neowin users. The ACP in vB is a pain in the ass and looks like it was designed for a programmer or someone who's been runninng forums for decades. There are so many unnecessary settings and the fact that you have to scroll down stuff in a scroll box is stupid (vbulletin options).

I've worked with both. From running forums to working within the code on modifications and skins. IP.Board is the easiest to work with and most user-friendly in my opinion.

Used to love IPB, but than realized how powerful VB is, problem is its SO expensive, but i think VB should only be implemented in a big community for its true powers, IPB is better for smaller community's.

since price wise, and feature/usage wise.

Newbie here and just wanted to chime in on this subject. I've been with VB for about 6 years now and just about had it with them. Their good features no longer outweigh their bloated code, difficult admincp, and poor user interaction. I use less than half the features they have in their admincp. I've also never liked the fact that they share my information with their mod site in order to use that forum. I've always felt uncomfortable with this. My admins have been begging me to switch to IPB and ironically a few weeks ago a very kind IPB skinner allowed me to play around with a IPB board she wasn't using and I really liked the admin panel a lot. Today, I'm on this forum getting a ton of valuable information and also experiencing IPB(I think) as a user. I'm also getting tired of constantly worrying about security issues with VB. It seems that when they release something not a week later there is a security problem. Hacks coming from their hack site seem to have constant problems and their coders are treated terribly at times. Vb does have some great features that IPB lacks and I'll miss them but I think it's time for me to move.

From personal taste, I find that IPB boards looks more professional and well thought out vs the index of vb boards. I have also experienced a much more friendly and helpful community at IPB than VB and I have found that the skinning community for IPB boards are far more dependable. I have also noticed that vb's hack site is allowing a lot more non English posts on the English version of their forum which makes finds things a bit longer to do. This is very annoying at times for my admins. I haven't personally noticed this but if my admins are they I have to listen.

There are some great things about Vbulletin and I wish I could pick and choose features from each!

I'm very seriously considering switching to IPB today but I have to find a host that can manage the data transfer and that is has reliable support. If anyone knows of a good host for IPB please let me know. I don't know if that is ok here to post so I guess you can PM me.

Going to go look for a IPB host.

Mark

Newbie here and just wanted to chime in on this subject. I've been with VB for about 6 years now and just about had it with them. Their good features no longer outweigh their bloated code, difficult admincp, and poor user interaction. I use less than half the features they have in their admincp. I've also never liked the fact that they share my information with their mod site in order to use that forum. I've always felt uncomfortable with this. My admins have been begging me to switch to IPB and ironically a few weeks ago a very kind IPB skinner allowed me to play around with a IPB board she wasn't using and I really liked the admin panel a lot. Today, I'm on this forum getting a ton of valuable information and also experiencing IPB(I think) as a user. I'm also getting tired of constantly worrying about security issues with VB. It seems that when they release something not a week later there is a security problem. Hacks coming from their hack site seem to have constant problems and their coders are treated terribly at times. Vb does have some great features that IPB lacks and I'll miss them but I think it's time for me to move.

From personal taste, I find that IPB boards looks more professional and well thought out vs the index of vb boards. I have also experienced a much more friendly and helpful community at IPB than VB and I have found that the skinning community for IPB boards are far more dependable. I have also noticed that vb's hack site is allowing a lot more non English posts on the English version of their forum which makes finds things a bit longer to do. This is very annoying at times for my admins. I haven't personally noticed this but if my admins are they I have to listen.

There are some great things about Vbulletin and I wish I could pick and choose features from each!

I'm very seriously considering switching to IPB today but I have to find a host that can manage the data transfer and that is has reliable support. If anyone knows of a good host for IPB please let me know. I don't know if that is ok here to post so I guess you can PM me.

Going to go look for a IPB host.

Mark

Just to clarify, Jelsoft owns vBulletin.Org, they are not sharing your information with any third parties.

I've used VB for some time and i like it a lot, but i'm testing IP now on one of my servers, so far it's kinda hard to getting used to so i will prolly switch back to VB.

And i think VB is much more logical than IP.

vBulletin 3 is very logical - especially when it comes to editing templates and creating styles - but vBulletin 4.0 is an absolute nightmare. A lot of things are overcomplicated and overall.. IPB is easier. Even though IPB3 is still a bit of a confusing nightmare when you're new to it.

IPB for me, I feel it is a lot more user friendly, and easier on the eyes than vB, guess I am a bit biased because I have been working with it for nearly 6 years, but I have never found any other forum software that has suited me quiet as much

Why are you restricting yourself to just these two boards? MyBB and phpBB are both awesome suites and are both comparable in performance and features to vB and IPB.

Why are you restricting yourself to just these two boards? MyBB and phpBB are both awesome suites and are both comparable in performance and features to vB and IPB.

Not really. MyBB and phpBB are good freeware solutions, but neither have nearly as many features as IPB and vB.

And, that said, I think IPB 3 is better than vB 4.

Been a customer of Invisionpower from day one, even when they decided to charge for using IPB I still stuck with IPS because they developed a better board than VB. I would never use VB.

• Like 1