Invision Power Board vs vBulletin

IPB or vBulletin?  

334 members have voted

1. 1. IPB or vBulletin?

• Invision Power Board
    • vBulletin

Question

I say VB. The plugin in system is great for mods. Usually no file edits.

Ditto here. I've also had a good experience with VB :D.

vBulletin 2.x - 3.x was when it was good. This latest version of vBulletin is absolute ######. I can almost say the same thing about IPB3. These forum scripts are getting too bloated, and are becoming more and more pain in the ass to keep up to date / customize (more than colors).

Wish there was a 3rd script that was in the same field, most just lack basic functions (ie phpbb)

Full CMS all the way. Smooth and intergrated. I like PHP-Fusion and Joomla.

VB is expensive!

Sure there are hosts that have VB on thier servers for free but often those are older versions that have security holes and they never fix vulnerabilities. If they do they are too late. Also they have ads that are often hosted by malicious ad networks.

I was a co-admin of one 2 years ago and I was also bombarded by evony online ads that had as close to naked as you can get without being it. (a woman with huge rackspace with a couple of diamond studded leather straps covering just her nipples)!!!!!! what kinda game is that??!!!!!!

and not to mention the admin panels often prevented critical DB backups and stuff like that. It was not worth it for the site we ran and we switched to a free host and used Joomla instead.

I really recommend anyone stay away from those.

• Like 1

Well, that's why you don't use free providers. You pay for the software you want to use (that's current and updated) and pay for your own hosting to control everything.

You can't complain about VB just because you signed up with some free host that forced ads and didn't prevent from NSFW ads from showing by moderating their ad network.

Joomla is a CMS, not a forum based software. Not sure why you would go from VB to Joomla.

Oh...... I just posted a recommendation to others..... not really bashing VB at all. I like VB a lot. I just warned them not to go with free VB Hosts becuase they have risks. wow.

I love Joomla as well. It has forums, in fact tons of 3rd party plugin forum systems as well. I love the control and customization you get with a CMS!

I love Joomla as well. It has forums, in fact tons of 3rd party plugin forum systems as well. I love the control and customization you get with a CMS!

Joomla is the ugly step-child of CMSes. Would never touch that with a 10 foot pole.

I enjoy vBulletin due to it's software and the community and the addon's. IPB imho just sucks. Yes I know this site uses IPB. Well I know vBulletin's license is that, if you pay the cheap one, once the license ends, you have to remove it, but not the most costing license, which when it ends, you don't have to remove it.

Between these two, I'd go with Invision. But in the grand scheme of things, phpBB is probably what I would use if I were to set up a forum today. Mainly due to cost and the plugin community.

$129 dollars + a fee per year.... I am sorry, but if your community is not as big as Neowin. Then it does not make sense to pay so much money for Ipb.

Huh? Where did you hear this? IPB is the much cheaper solution, you'll spend almost twice as much on Vbulletin up front and even more after that . For the core software it's $50 a year for license renewals which isn't even mandatory to continue using the software, only if you want access to upgrades and other perks. Once you start purchasing addons, then yes it gets more expensive but for most the core software suffices. This is unlike Vbulletin that required everyone to shell out for new license to upgrade to VB4, upgrades for IPB are provided as long as you pay the renewal fee.

IPB is far more friendly, VB admin panel is a confusing mess and setting permissions is a chore. The IPB admin control panel is neatly arranged, options are grouped in tabs, setting permission is a breeze. IPB3 also has the spam service which stops most spammers dead in their tracks before they can spam your forum, lots of other included features, official addons for blogs, gallery, downloads, chat, ecommerce, it's seo/se friendly.