ATI Officially releases Catalyst 5.11!

Enjoy! www.ati.com

Performance Improvements

As with most Catalyst? releases, performance has increased in various situations.

The ATI Radeon? X1800 has massive gains in OpenGL when 4X Anti-aliasing is enabled. Increases include:

# Doom 3 performance improvement of up to 38%

# Quake 4 performance improvement of up to 60%

# Older OpenGL titles such as Quake 3, Arena, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, have performance improvements of up to 50%

The ATI Radeon? X1300 has a performance improvement of 10-15% in Quake 4.

The Vertex Shader has performance improvement of 3-5% across multiple products.

Edited by VII

what are the advantages of using the catalyst control center over just the drivers?

586797779[/snapback]

ya, can somebody answer this question. I have same question as him. Is it really worth it to have a catalyst Control center?

ya, can somebody answer this question. I have same question as him. Is it really worth it to have a catalyst Control center?

586797835[/snapback]

No, don't download it. Nothing but problems and annoying. It adds itself to the context menus for many items. Nothing worse then right clicking a file and seeing ATI's Control Panel there for no real reason.

what are the advantages of using the catalyst control center over just the drivers?

586797779[/snapback]

586797835[/snapback]

The catalyst control center is merely an interface to the drivers. It's essentially a control panel dialog as opposed to the multitude of tabs in the advanced display properties. Right now, there's no real advantage other than it's a centralized and cleaner way to adjust your driver settings. People complain about it because it uses Microsoft's .Net framework in order to run. (Same principle as the Java Runtime - you need the compiler environment to execute the code) This has performance implications for the application, but will not slow down the system as long as the application (in this case, the catalyst control center) isn't running. I use it and have had zero problems with it. As for the context menu option, I see that as a preference issue, but can certainly understand why it annoys some people. I think there should be an option to turn that off.

Right now, there are no advantages that I can speak of in using the Catalyst Control Center. ATi has said that future updates will be made the CCC that the standard control panel will not get get, but they've been saying that since September 2004 when it was initially released, and have yet to make good on that promise in the intervening time, now more than a year since.

So it just comes down to how you prefer to interface with your card's settings. Really nothing more to it than that.

The only thing i've used in the control center is the o/c utility on occasion.

586798028[/snapback]

I'm kinda disappointed I don't see that option in my card, but only because I like having the options available.. just in case. Then again, who would want to O/C an All-In-Wonder X800XT anyway? :p

@pipdipchip: Do you normally uninstall the old driver first, or just install new drivers on top? I know ATi recommends you uninstall old drivers prior to upgrading, but a few friends have told me that's not required based on their experience. I know that nVidia was picky about it - not uninstalling the older driver usually created problems for me.. can I expect the same with ATi if I don't uninstall the old drivers first? :blush:

Edited by DELTA75329

I installed 5.11. Nothing too special to report. Install went fine. The only thing I've played since is the NFS: Most Wanted demo and runs fine. I couldn't notice a huge difference in framerate or anything. Never-the-less, seems like a good upgrade.

@pipdipchip: Do you normally uninstall the old driver first, or just install new drivers on top? I know ATi recommends you uninstall old drivers prior to upgrading, but a few friends have told me that's not required based on their experience. I know that nVidia was picky about it - not uninstalling the older driver usually created problems for me.. can I expect the same with ATi if I don't uninstall the old drivers first?  :blush:

586798040[/snapback]

Before I re-formatted I always used to have problems if I didn't uninstall. Now I don't have a problem. I don't think you have to uninstall everytime. Maybe every other build or if it's a major upgrade. I see no reason to uninstall first every time.