how do i change app icons or dock icons?

for some reason in the applications folder i cannot change the icons, and also in the dock bar too, how do i switch out the icons? one time i was able to do it, but now it wont allow me, i cut and paste or copy and paste rather and now it doesnt even change, how weird, can you help me please....

dazzla how do you change out the icons in the dock bar?

If you've changed an icon in the finder, it won't automatically update in the dock. Change it and redrag the app into the dock.

Also, some apps wont show the change in the finder, like mozilla, they only show the icon change when you drag them to the dock.

Oh, and if you're using jag then you can't change icons atm.

Originally posted by Dazzla

If you've changed an icon in the finder, it won't automatically update in the dock. Change it and redrag the app into the dock.

Also, some apps wont show the change in the finder, like mozilla, they only show the icon change when you drag them to the dock.

Oh, and if you're using jag then you can't change icons atm.

Small correction...you can now change icons in 6c98. I know it wasn't there in 6c92 or before...

thanks dazzla, but how do you change the finder icon and the system prefs icon? it wont allow me to paste, arghhh, help me please... some icons wont allow me to paste!

Originally posted by 212RikanMofo

thanks so much gator! that helped a lot! i also found i can change some icons by logging into root too... hehe...

Be warned, if you mess up HIToolbox.rsrc or Extras.rsrc your machine wont get past login. Make a backup of any files you are gonna alter.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Be warned, if you mess up HIToolbox.rsrc or Extras.rsrc your machine wont get past login. Make a backup of any files you are gonna alter.

what is extras.rsrc??