Recommend a DVD player?

As I start my quest to put together a home theater for my first apartment, I figure the first thing I can get out of the way is the DVD player, since it'll be the lowest cost component of the bunch. While I hunt around the internet for reviews and comparisons, I thought I'd post here to get your thoughts as well.

Here's what's important to me in a DVD player:

- progressive scan, since i've decided to save for an HDTV

- HD upconversion

- component video output

- digital audio ouput

- HDMI output (not really IMPORTANT, but I figure I might as well get one with hdmi so i'm set for the years ahead)

Here's what's not important

- multi-format reader. i don't have any burned dvds, nor do i have a lot of burned music or mp3 cds, so i dont need a player that reads all the writable media. if it's there, that's fine, but it's not needed.

- multi-disc player. i'm not that lazy, so a single-disc player is all i need.

when it comes down to it, i want to spend my money on picture quality and audio quality. i don't need lots of fancy features that i'll never use. if there's a player that's $50 more expensive than a similar model, but has more consistent picture quality, then I'd definitely spend the extra money.

So, if you guys have any ideas as to players i should look at, let me know. thanks.

Just so you know, HDMI would automatically be included on any newer upconverting models (older ones use DVI).

I'd recommend giving the Samsung DVD-HD950

You have two options:

1) Get the cheapest player now and wait for blu-ray/hd-dvd

2) Get fully loaded now. HD upconversion seems to be the most expensive feature that you listed there and it is not that useful. To me it's like digital zoom, no new content is created, just an enlargemnt of picture. All other features you listed there are pretty standard for a recent player.

2) Get fully loaded now. HD upconversion seems to be the most expensive feature that you listed there and it is not that useful. To me it's like digital zoom, no new content is created, just an enlargemnt of picture. All other features you listed there are pretty standard for a recent player.

586805514[/snapback]

It's more useful than you're giving credit for. On a good HD TV, it can be a pretty big difference.

LG DiVX Compatible Progressive Scan DVD Player (LDA-530)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...test%5Fcookie=1

i highly recomend this dvd player, it supports divx, xvid and the picture and audio are great, i've never had a dvd player that worked so well as this one by LG

586805527[/snapback]

Another good unit, though the Samsung is built a bit better and, from what I've researched, gives slightly better picture quality. The 850 Samsung is the model that needs a lot of work, but the 950 is kick ass.

i had the samsung 950 but i had so many probs with it, eg: the pict kept going all blocky with all my dvds, wouldn't even read some of my dvds that i have that i bought or burnt, and i had taken it back and gotten a new one but the second one did the same thing, untill i got the LG everything works great with all my dvds bought or burnt