Samsung LNR268W?

Hopefully the mods don't mind this 2nd post (it is about a different model anyhow).

Well anyway instead of the 23" Samsung LNR238W I decided to get the 26" version instead and so far it seems pretty nice.

However I need to mention there is a bit of a shock when you switch over to an HDTV/high clarity television and you boot up a game in 480p.. The lack of resolution, lack of anti-aliasing really becomes noticeable. Has anyone else experienced this? It makes sense when you're bumping up the clarity. Makes me think for the xbox you're better off (unless using a 720p game like Amped 2) using an older ****tier CRT television lol.

I also picked up a pair of Monster Gamelink 400X Component cables and love the colour warmth and clarity. I honestly can't wait to see how this television looks at 720p along with AA on the xbox360.

Now here comes my question, what brandname of VGA cables are the best? Monster sells them but I can't seem to find a store nearby that sells them, how about any online shops? I need a male-to-male connector not the typical female-to-male. I can't wait to see how the VGA looks.

The lower resolutions are always going to look a little poorer than they would on a tube. As for the VGA cable, look at Belkin.

586807087[/snapback]

Alright. So why do they look worse? I mean LCD isn't inferior to tube would you say? At higher resolutions the clarity/quality is much higher (at least compared to the tube's I have.. I can't speak for expensive projection or tube crt's).

It's because LCD's are fixed pixel.

586807197[/snapback]

Doh! Makes sense lol. Luckily I have my old tube tv (29" RCA with S-Video) for tv and probally will remain as my Xbox 1 television set as well (use it more for non-hd videos then anything else).

• 1 month later...

I just got this exact model. I have a question about HD reception. Can I purchase one of those indoor antennas and plug it into this tv?

Thanks!

I can't answer that question sadly, but I'm curious.. Do you have a xbox360?

I just got this exact model. I have a question about HD reception. Can I purchase one of those indoor antennas and plug it into this tv?

Thanks!

No. You will need an external tuner also.

Yeah, I do have an xbox360.

Ever notice any colour banding? Sometimes I do in night levels and ect. Very minimal but still.. I think the VGA cables makes it a bit more noticeable so that's why it bugs me lmao, probally since the quality difference between the component cables and vga is so unbelievably huge. If you don't have a pair yet grab them, it's like night and day.

Ever notice any colour banding? Sometimes I do in night levels and ect. Very minimal but still.. I think the VGA cables makes it a bit more noticeable so that's why it bugs me lmao, probally since the quality difference between the component cables and vga is so unbelievably huge. If you don't have a pair yet grab them, it's like night and day.

I'm using the component cables bundled with the xbox 360. It seems to be working beautifully.

I'm using the component cables bundled with the xbox 360. It seems to be working beautifully.

Bah! Get the VGA cables and use those for the 360. Trust me on this, the difference it makes is "massive". Truly night and day.

Had a look in a store today to see if they'd dropped the price of the 26" much for the new year, and they had it playing the Matrix Revolutions, but there was huge bars on top and bottom and the quality was horrible (little black jaggies appearing from the black bar if I remember correctly). I'm guessing it was just a poorly setup TV.. any ideas why off the top of anyones head? I've only seen it playing Digital TV, and its always looked fairly impressive. I was so upset, I nearly cheated on it with a nice 26" LG LCD instead (built in DVD player :)), but managed to restrain myself.

:p

Had a look in a store today to see if they'd dropped the price of the 26" much for the new year, and they had it playing the Matrix Revolutions, but there was huge bars on top and bottom and the quality was horrible (little black jaggies appearing from the black bar if I remember correctly). I'm guessing it was just a poorly setup TV.. any ideas why off the top of anyones head? I've only seen it playing Digital TV, and its always looked fairly impressive. I was so upset, I nearly cheated on it with a nice 26" LG LCD instead (built in DVD player :)), but managed to restrain myself.

:p

Chances are they weren't using an upscale dvd. The one downside to LCD is that 480i/480p is usually very poor in quality since the set has to downscale from it's native resolution (which is near 720p). So the big benefit of an upscale dvd isn't the improved quality through filtering, but rather the fact that it will be near the native resolution of the set so things will look phenominal. Also you need to remember films in the theater are not 16:9 widescreen, they are even more "widescreen". So many dvd's will still have some black bars even on a widescreen tv. Some dvd players have built-in bar removal that stretches the top and bottom of the screen to get rid of them however.

And about the jaggies on dvd, I've never seen that before. I mean a lack of quality is one thing, but jaggies on the black bars? I would say the dvd player was either very poor quality, or something was wrong with the video connection.

Chances are they weren't using an upscale dvd.

How does it look when playing DVD's via the Xbox 360? I don't mind black bars but when half the screen is taken up by them it kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice big widescreen. :\

How does it look when playing DVD's via the Xbox 360? I don't mind black bars but when half the screen is taken up by them it kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice big widescreen. :\

Looks pretty good.. Not perfect (like I said component isn't the greatest).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm trying to set this TV up as a monitor on my PC.

Is there a driver for this tv/monitor? I have an older computer and am trying to set up widescreen resolutions, but it's recognizing this tv/monitor as a generic one...

Thanks!