Homework Help

Okay, maybe because this is finals week and I only had about 6 hours of sleep in the last 3 days, but I am confused.

Can you guys do this ONE problem for me, I will do the rest. I just need a visual.

Find and write out in your own words an explanation for each of the following electronics terms and devices. If it is an electronic device, include the standard way(s) of drawing the circuit element in a schematic. For those terms that are electronic quantities, be sure to include the units on the quantity, and the variable that is used to represent it.

1. Resistor

*Thanks in advance"

resistor: an element who's primary function is to induce resistance to current. a larger resistance indicates greater ability to oppose current flow. by ohm's law R = V/I = 1V/A = 1 ohm. a resistor with resistance R and a current I flowing through it will have a voltage drop of IR across it.

conventional circuit representation for a fixed resistor:

Resistor_symbol.PNG

resistor: an element who's primary function is to induce resistance to current. a larger resistance indicates greater ability to oppose current flow. by ohm's law R = V/I = 1V/A = 1 ohm. a resistor with resistance R and a current I flowing through it will have a voltage drop of IR across it.

conventional circuit representation for a fixed resistor:

Resistor_symbol.PNG

586812448[/snapback]

+Resistance increases as temperature increases in metals (good conductors), and it decreases as temperature increases in Semi-Conductors. what else.....oh yeah, its measured in ohms (sign is capital letter omega: Ω)

Man, this is gonna sound dumb as hell...

I was sitting here wondering WHY none of this stuff makes sense to me. It has nothing to do with my major! My instructor gave me the wrong sheet. My friend just called and told me what to do. It has terms like "Information Technology" & "Operating Systems".

Edit: Oh yeah, thanks to everyone that helped. I really appreciate it.

Edited by C-Squarez

^ hahaha thats rather amusing :p was it an assignment or just a tutorial worksheet?

owned.jpg

586815754[/snapback]

It was an assignment. A final project actually. They gave us 25 definitions to look up and do all sorts of other things. The one that I was supposed to do was VERY easy. I finished it quickly because I know it all already (sorta).

Now I have one more project to do by the morning. :( 2 down, 1 to go...

ahh ****, good luck :s :pinch: what major?

586815808[/snapback]

Digital Communications System Technician or something of the sort. I can't remember the actual name :lol:. It is just referred to as DCST. After I am done this I have a 12 page PowerPoint presentation due also. :pinch:

Digital Communications System Technician or something of the sort. I can't remember the actual name :lol:. It is just referred to as DCST. After I am done this I have a 12 page PowerPoint presentation due also.  :pinch:

586815838[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should a "technician" know everything about integrated cuircuts and at least some things about basic electronics?!

Is this really a Major?! coz resistors are electronics 101...I myslef studied resistors in OL physics (IGCSE which is basically GCSE but with an I!) in the electricity chapter. I'd assume you'd be dealing with LEDs, LDRs, diodes and logic gates right now!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should a "technician" know everything about integrated cuircuts and at least some things about basic electronics?!

Is this really a Major?! coz resistors are electronics 101...I myslef studied resistors in OL physics (IGCSE which is basically GCSE but with an I!) in the electricity chapter. I'd assume you'd be dealing with LEDs, LDRs, diodes and logic gates right now!

586816969[/snapback]

Good point. I would think so, but this is my 1st semester. So electronics 101 may be in the future but right now, it has nothing to do with me. But that is something I will have to really get into because when I saw that it confused the hell out of me. Pretty much like when I saw binary numbers for the first time. I almost freaked!

+Resistance increases as temperature increases in metals (good conductors), and it decreases as temperature increases in Semi-Conductors. what else.....oh yeah, its measured in ohms (sign is capital letter omega: Ω)

586813248[/snapback]

i thought resistance increase when temperature decrease...? am i right?

i thought resistance increase when temperature decrease...? am i right?

586833954[/snapback]

Generally speaking, the resistance of a conductor (i.e. internal resistance of a wire) will increase with increasing temperature (electrons drift freely), but for other materials like semiconductors (i.e. many thermistors), higher temperatures allow greater numbers of electrons to break free resulting in higher conductivity and lower resistance.