IF you couldn't get a iBook or TiBook...

what pc notebook would you get? I'm trying to help a friend. She's looking for a new notebook. She would use it mostly for email, web, chat, music, movies. I immediately said get a mac. however, i would like to have some alternatives, and let her pick what she feels is best for her (i would take the mac hands down ;)).

Originally posted by BroChaos

what pc notebook would you get? I'm trying to help a friend. She's looking for a new notebook. She would use it mostly for email, web, chat, music, movies. I immediately said get a mac. however, i would like to have some alternatives, and let her pick what she feels is best for her (i would take the mac hands down ;)).

Dell Inspiron

I have a Dell, and let me tell you, those things get HOT when you use them for a while. Like, you'd better not be wearing shorts if you want to use this thing on your lap kinda hot.

Other than that, they're pretty good. If it's just for simple stuff though, check out Toshiba. I've seen some good things from them too (at their usually cheaper than Dells).

she wouldn't have a problem learning a mac.

threetonesun: my friend has an inspiron, and that thing runs mad hot. in fact, it had issues because of the heat i think, it would randomly turn off, crash during intensive applications, etc. (all after clean installs of XP). so i was kinda worried about recommending a dell.

what about sonys? any good?

I often get a chance to use my dad's dell latitude c500 (was mine before he bought it off me so i could get my ibook) and it doesnt seem to run very hot. I would recommend that you dont consider the bottom of the line inspiron as it is huge (my teacher at college has one), the latitude beats inspiron from thatpoint of view. Still reckon that the ibook or tibook wins hands down over any pc laptop on the market;)

I've got a Sony VAIO and they are very reliable, the support from Sony is top notch as well. All the times I've dropped it :p and they've had it fixed in no time. Coming from someone who owns a Mac now, I wouldn't hesitate buying an iBook.

The iBook has a much much better battery life. You can easily get 4-5 hours out of it if you're just word processing. My VAIO on the other hand dies before 2 hours are up.