Xbox 360 reviews: Got standard tv? ur screwed

oh god no a fanboy has dropped in wi6th out of date ps3 "specs", or well just random numbers.

If anyone seriously didnt know that games will look better on HD, what the hell were you expecting, from the very start its been known the next gen of consoles would be for HDTV, heck Sony even claim the ps3 will output to 2 of them. I can see it now, people will complain then that the games look worse on only one tv.

Anyways back torward the focus of the thread: Unless Microsoft only planned on selling the Xbox 360 to people with HDTV they might as well not release it until they give out HD's at Circuit City becuase I know I don't have one.

Designed to work with an HDTV?? LMAO. Ok dude, keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep better at night. You don't design your system around something only about 2% of your total audience is going to have equipped in their home.

586815794[/snapback]

Are you seriously trying to say that the 360 wasn't designed to work with an HDTV? Make up your mind...
Games should be built with standard televisions in mind and then upgraded visually in the higher resolutions, but nah Microsoft has to be complete morons and build all games natively for 720p and then scaled downward from there on.

586815794[/snapback]

Yeah those morons, actually trying to make their games look good. I can't believe how stupid they are, fully embracing the latest technology while still making it possible for people with older TVs to play. It would have been better if they ignored HDTVs altogether! That way people with older TVs wouldn't feel bad at all.
Some of us in this world don't have a rich mommy and daddy with their own HDTV

586815794[/snapback]

Guess what? I'm not using mommy and daddy's HDTV for my 360. I'm using my HDTV, which I bought and paid for myself. Edited by Jeremy1

Anyways back torward the focus of the thread: Unless Microsoft only planned on selling the Xbox 360 to people with HDTV they might as well not release it until they give out HD's at Circuit City becuase I know I don't have one.

586815834[/snapback]

They didn't plan to only sell to people with hdtv's... Clearly , you are angry because you are not privileged

If you can't make games look good unless they run on 1200$ televisions then the 360 is far less powerful then I originally thought.

586815851[/snapback]

The games are going to look JUST FINE on a regular TV. They won't look as good as they will on an HDTV, BECAUSE THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

If you can't make games look good unless they run on 1200$ televisions then the 360 is far less powerful then I originally thought.

586815851[/snapback]

They will look good :laugh: :rofl: Just not AS GOOD as you get on HDTVs.

Any moron could figure that out. What they are trying to say is that 360 will look no different based on the tv you have? My ass, no kidding HD will look amazing and huge but a normal tv will show just as much change in graphics. the tvs that 360 is hooked up to in stores is not HD and looks a lot better

Actually theres a massive difference between the graphics quality of the demo titles on the Wal-mart TV's ( none HDTV ) compared to the best buy and Comp USA tvs ( HDTV's ).

Wal-Mart games look like current generation games like Far Cry Instincts on the Xbox with more things on the screen at once, whereas the Best Buy and Comp USA television showcases the immense quality of the texturing and the attention to detail in games like Kameo and CoD2. You just can't see any of that through the bluriness and low resolution of a standard TV.

Just shouldnt be that way.

castor, its not my fault your computer knowledge stops after the typing in a box and clicking a button phase.

586815852[/snapback]

I won't be drawn into a petty arguement about consoles, yes the 360 will look better on HDTV, so will PS3, I can't see why people are making a big deal about it. If they'd done it the other way round n optimised it for SD, then what would the point be in releasing it at all.

Well I don't see what Microsoft could have done to prevent that. I mean what are you people thinking? MICROSOFT DOESN'T MAKE THE TELEVISIONS! lol!

They can't help it that TV's are limited to 480i and have been for a very long time (and now we're finally getting new progressive and higher resolution modes of display).

The games will still look better then current-gen games on a Non-HDTV. Remember it's not just HDTV support in all games that makes the Xbox360 look so good. It's the high-level of bump mapping, normal mapping, specular lighting, shader 3.0 and some features beyond that, ect ect ect. They ALL have impact on the graphics.

But again, you won't get the same level of clarity and colour and resolution when you run a non-hdtv. It's just the way things work..

I don't get why any of you think this is Microsoft's fault, they can't go back in history and make all the televisions prior to HDTV suddenly support hdtv.. That makes no sense!

You just can't see any of that through the bluriness and low resolution of a standard TV. 

Just shouldnt be that way.

586815896[/snapback]

Uhm, yeah it should. You just stated it yourself. There's NOTHING that ANY COMPANY could do about it. Your arguement is EXACTLY like someone complaining that a PC game on their old ass 15" monitor that maxes out at 640x480 has worse textures than someone running a 20" widescreen at 1680x1050. How are they supposed to look equal? They're not.

I think I'm going to go complain to my satellite company because HDTV channels down-converted to 480i look no better than their SDTV counterparts...it shouldn't be that way. Just because someone else's TV has more pixels than mine doesn't mean their picture quality should be better :cry:

Edited by Acezo

Ok let me make another post. PEOPLE YOU ARE CONFUSED TO HOLY HELL!

JUST BECAUSE you have a TV that is strictly 480i doesn't mean you won't see the texture detail and higher quality of the xbox360. YOU WILL. It just won't be as amazing as on an HDTV. Also remember quality is dependent on the size of your tv! If you have some 50+" Non-HDTV television the Xbox360 will be pretty damn pixelated (unless the tv has great filtering). Now if you have a 32" and below things will look MUCH better.

And let me say one more thing. A high-end non-hdtv CRT will look better then some cheap lowend LCD that happens to have HDTV.

However let me make one final statement. Compare a sony/rca/ect ect CRT tube television around 30" with S-video/Component.. Something mid-high end.. That happens to not have HDTV, and compare it to say.. The official Samsung Xbox360 HDTV (23", I have the 26").. And obviously the HDTV will beat it hands down when one is in 480i and the other is 720p+.

But here's something to be proud of if you have that CRT.. It will still look better playing Xbox 1 games that are in 480i/p then that LCD HDTV will. It's simply the nature of LCD technology to look like crap when it's displaying very low resolution (something far from it's native resolution.. Such as 480i).

conveniently HDTV's will be getting cheaper in the UK towards Q2 2006, as at that point both sky and the BBC are launching HDTV services, and as usual they'll be key in the push towards HDTV

hummm......

586815906[/snapback]

"While running under such circumstances, Halo 2 does not look all that much better on an Xbox 360 at 720p. We recently tried out a copy of Halo 2 on an Optoma H78DC3, a 720p native projector and noticed little difference from the Xbox version which we ran at normal resolution on the same screen."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/667/667069p1.html

"While running under such circumstances, Halo 2 does not look all that much better on an Xbox 360 at 720p. We recently tried out a copy of Halo 2 on an Optoma H78DC3, a 720p native projector and noticed little difference from the Xbox version which we ran at normal resolution on the same screen."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/667/667069p1.html

586815933[/snapback]

I don't know about projectors but.. When you have a LCD display and you run a game at 480i/p.. It looks pretty crappy..

However, anything at 720p (near the LCD's native resolution) it's extremely sharp and the detail is incredible..

So it depends on what your using, and trust me.. Halo 2 on the xbox360 at 720p will look.. Night and day better then the original xbox at 480p on any LCD display.

I'm just saying the difference shouldn't be so freakin dramatic like it is. You shouldnt have to spend money like you would in the PC industry just to see games as they were meant to be seen. Seeing these 360 games on a standard television is a laughable joke right now.

I'm just saying the difference shouldn't be so freakin dramatic like it is.? You shouldnt have to spend money like you would in the PC industry just to see games as they were meant to be seen.? Seeing these 360 games on a standard television is a laughable joke right now.

586815953[/snapback]

Lol in other words you don't think there should be any "HDTV" modes period. If everyone can't have higher quality then no one should. Maybe you didn't know this but the original xbox had some HDTV games at 720p. In fact most games support 480p which is much clearer then 480i. It's only an issue now that "all" games support it?

That's a pretty ****y stance bu:p:p. You'll eventually have HDTV and will love it, just because you won't be able to use it right away (if you do buy xbox360) doesn't mean it won't look great, or you won't be able to go back and play everything in hdtv once you do get one.

Hell you don't even need to spend a ton to get HDTV. Just pick up a CRT monitor for $200 or something.. It may be smaller then a tv, but the picture quality will be amazing and you'll be able to play games in HD.

I'm just saying the difference shouldn't be so freakin dramatic like it is.  You shouldnt have to spend money like you would in the PC industry just to see games as they were meant to be seen.  Seeing these 360 games on a standard television is a laughable joke right now.

586815953[/snapback]

You're still making a pretty terrible argument. It's not like you have to run out and get a new TV every couple of years to keep up with the newest games coming out, and it's not as if the only thing you'll do with this TV is play games on it.

I'm just saying the difference shouldn't be so freakin dramatic like it is.

586815953[/snapback]

It doesn't matter how you think it "should" or "shouldn't" be. The difference between 480i and 720p is dramatic, and that's not Microsoft's fault.