Pioneer Plasma or Samsung DLP 1080p

Boz

Hi guys, I'm really in a rush, my new house will be ready for move-in in 2 weeks and I need to get a good set this weekend.

I was looking at that Samsung below, and almost decided on getting it, but some friends started telling me how good and better buy is plasma. So I'm stuck now, the price difference is quite big too. $4,000 vs $6,800.

Samsung DLP HL-R6768W:

Samsung Product Info

Samsung Image:

9936019_640.jpg

Pioneer Elite 61" PureVision PRO-1410HD:

Product Info

Pioneer Image:

7307648_ra.jpg

I'm really in a tight spot here. I'm concerned that Plasmas have 1356x768 resolution while DLPs go up to 1920x1080, but I just hate those viewing angles with DLPs.

Thank you guys.

GrimReeper

Well my dad has a 42" Pioneer Plasma (was top of the range and was full price :( ) I watch all sorts of stuff on it like 1080i HDTV, DVD's etc and I think it looks amazing, well compared to the other brands like Samsung etc it does.

I have read reviews and Pioneer's have always been reviewed in almost the highest regard.

If you are new to like TV's and stuff the thing to remember with a plasma is that you may not get speakers and/or a stand with it. (Just tell the guy you wont get if he doesnt throw in the stand and speakers that come with it) you dont wont wear out a awesome home theatre system on normal viewing.

Check this 5 Mistakes when going HDTV

wicker_man

Dude, go with Panasonic instead. Viera pv500 model. I am telling you, there is nothing better on plasma market than Panasonic because Panasonic was one of the earliest adopters of plasma technology and have developed everything themselves in-house (therefore, better QC, more testing done, etc.). Plus to that, you can't beat it for features (SD card slot/recording, 3D colour management, Sub-pixel smoothing technology, 60000 hours screen life, 8.6 billion colours output on screen, Deep Black Drive filter - the list goes on). And yes, it does contain speakers (2 high quality subs and 4 tweeters) - you have to hear them to believe what kind of noise them babies make, especially with the ambience turned on! I know about 10 people who have Panasonic plasmas and they never regretted their purchase. More about it here:

Panasonic Viera technology explained.

P.S. DLP is a waste of your money just like any other light technology (the viewing angle is about 40-50 degrees vertically, and 70-70 degrees horizontally, whereas plasmas offer 180 degrees and sunlight doesn't affect the quallity of a picture like in the DLP case.

Darrian
Dude, go with Panasonic instead. Viera pv500 model.

That'd be a great if you just want a TV, but if you're looking to use it as a PC monitor as well the resolution sucks.

GOHARD

i heard and read good things about Panasonic Plasmas.

DLP is an alternative & those viewing angles suck ass

Boz

wicker,

my living room is pretty bright 4 big windows. I'm in the US so Viera series is not on the site as far as I noticed, but they do have consumer models. I need a BIG tv, I don't want to fool around with small TVs anymore, been buying 36", 42" before and they are just too small. I work a lot and when I watch a movie I want to have a movie theater experience, but that's where the price comes in, any Plasma that is over 50" is ridiculously expensive. This Pioneer 61" can be found online for around $6800 at more then 1 store, and that's what made it interesting, I could open my wallet for $6800 (although with a bit of a heartbrake) but ONLY if it's REALLY worth it. Everything above that is just not worth it. I saw new Samsung 6gen 61" DLP and it looked fabulous, but again, I'm just concerned about those viewing angles.

Honestly, I want to get an EDTV Plasma for my home office area which is on the second level of the house and have a huge screen in the living room for watching movies. For the price of that 61" Plasma I can get top of the line Samsung 6gen 67" DLP + Panasonic PRO series 42" Plasma to watch TV in my office. That's one of the things that bugs me too.

One important thing is that I will be watching the TV in the living room from about 12 feet distance.

dud

Is anything ever broadcast or even put out in 1080p? You'd save a lot of money going with a 1080i set and wait for progressive to get cheaper. But between those two, take the plasma. Only one or two people can watch a DLP and get the full light of it; such a waste of a nice, big TV...

CrimsonBlur

Why are you worried about viewing angles when you have a screen that large and you're basically interested in watching movies on it? If you're looking for a cinematic experience you are talking about a 5.1+ surround system, which means you want to be centered in the room watching it anyway. The only problem I can forsee with viewing angles is if you are planning on having a group so large watching that they are almost right next to the screen. I've looked at the DLP's at Best Buy and I haven't noticed much problem seeing the screen from an angle even when it's on the corner on the other side of the room... I can't imaging it makes THAT much of a difference, I have to admit I've never heard of anyone purchasing and DLP TV and then saying they were ****ed off at the viewing angle...

On top of that, repairing a plasma is still VERY expensive and it's an annoying process. Their life span is better now, but they still lose a LOT of brightness after a while and WILL die unless you refill the plasma. DLP, on the other hand, you just replace the bulb. The bulb might not be CHEAP, but that's it and you're back up and running. No dead pixels either. When you're spending that much money just on your TV, I definately don't want to deal with that crap. CRT's are so much cheaper that nowadays people just buy a new TV, not so with the new technology though, it's too expensive. DLP is also the only way you're going to get 1080p for a reasonable price. Samsung definately has the best technology for their price range as well.

wicker,

my living room is pretty bright 4 big windows. I'm in the US so Viera series is not on the site as far as I noticed, but they do have consumer models. I need a BIG tv, I don't want to fool around with small TVs anymore, been buying 36", 42" before and they are just too small. I work a lot and when I watch a movie I want to have a movie theater experience, but that's where the price comes in, any Plasma that is over 50" is ridiculously expensive. This Pioneer 61" can be found online for around $6800 at more then 1 store, and that's what made it interesting, I could open my wallet for $6800 (although with a bit of a heartbrake) but ONLY if it's REALLY worth it. Everything above that is just not worth it. I saw new Samsung 6gen 61" DLP and it looked fabulous, but again, I'm just concerned about those viewing angles.

Honestly, I want to get an EDTV Plasma for my home office area which is on the second level of the house and have a huge screen in the living room for watching movies. For the price of that 61" Plasma I can get top of the line Samsung 6gen 67" DLP + Panasonic PRO series 42" Plasma to watch TV in my office. That's one of the things that bugs me too.

One important thing is that I will be watching the TV in the living room from about 12 feet distance.

586816852[/snapback]

wicker_man
On top of that, repairing a plasma is still VERY expensive and it's an annoying process.  Their life span is better now, but they still lose a LOT of brightness after a while and WILL die unless you refill the plasma.  DLP, on the other hand, you just replace the bulb.

Sorry to say that, but you are talking out of your butt. That 60000 hours screen life I referred to (which is about 20 years of watching TV 8 hours a day!) is only till half-life, that is only until the point when the screen brightness and contrast decrease to 50% of the initial value. Think about that.

Second, what would you refill a plasma with? Your turd? Have you seen a 'Plasma refillable kit' for sale anywhere? No, because it is impossible to refill 800000 self-enclosed gas cells (which contain a combination of 3 rare gases - neon, xenon and argon). Considering that Viera plasma I menitoned above is 8th generation, and DLPs only starting to come out on the market, you can try figuring out which technology is more time-proof and tested. Plus to that, in DLP TVs it's not just the bulb that can go wrong - it's also thousands of tiny mirrors nested around chips that control them to reflect light. And as we know, in many cases mechanical movements are more prone to malfunction.

So read more before you speak next time or just ask questions if you aren't sure what you are talking about :)

CrimsonBlur

OK, ok, so you got me there :blush: So no one else needs to comment on my crappy post.

Aparently what I said about Plasmas is really just FUD spread early on by other sellers/manufacturers as I found out when I searched. And you're right about the viewing hours... though I don't know how realistic those hours are, considering modern Plasma TV's with hours that high haven't even been around for anywhere near 20 years. All I can say is I knew a few people that got Plasmas early on and their screens got noticably darker after less than a year of normal use, so I'm wary of those newer numbers... also the "refilling plasma", yeah, that's complete BS, LOL. Stupid FUD articles.

Anyway, yeah, just ignore what I said about repairing, but I'm still not sold on the half-life numbers quite yet. My other points still stand though. Does anyone own a DLP TV and find that the viewing angle is a major problem? I ask this because I am looking into getting a Samsung DLP TV myself because I think it's the best price/performance ratio, but if these numbers for the plasma half-life are true that might change my mind, except that is a very large up-front investment. Also DLP is brighter and has better color accuracy than any of the other technologies as far as I know. I don't know how likely it would be for the mirrors to malfunction on the DLP chip...

Sorry to say that, but you are talking out of your butt. That 60000 hours screen life I referred to (which is about 20 years of watching TV 8 hours a day!) is only till half-life, that is only until the point when the screen brightness and contrast decrease to 50% of the initial value. Think about that.

Second, what would you refill a plasma with? Your turd? Have you seen a 'Plasma refillable kit' for sale anywhere? No, because it is impossible to refill 800000 self-enclosed gas cells (which contain a combination of 3 rare gases - neon, xenon and argon). Considering that Viera plasma I menitoned above is 8th generation, and DLPs only starting to come out on the market, you can try figuring out which technology is more time-proof and tested. Plus to that, in DLP TVs it's not just the bulb that can go wrong - it's also thousands of tiny mirrors nested around chips that control them to reflect light. And as we know, in many cases mechanical movements are more prone to malfunction.

So read more before you speak next time or just ask questions if you aren't sure what you are talking about :)

586816907[/snapback]

wicker_man

OK, ok, so you got me there :blush: So no one else needs to comment on my crappy post.

If I was you I would wait until DLP technology matures since it has just been introduced a year or so ago. Personally I'd say, if you are looking for a TV up to 37 inch size, go for LCD. Otherwise if you are looking for something bigger, get a plasma for the obvious reasons mentioned before. I just can't stand DLP for the reasons mentioned above as well. Maybe when DLP matures it will be the best, but we still have to wait for that. Most likely, it would be something like Rear Projection TVs are now - big units with inferior qualities. Sorry, the viewing angle just kills those type of TVs for me...

CrimsonBlur

Hmmm... you pretty much turned me on to Plasma instead of DLP for the larger screens (I may take your advise and get a normal size LCD). Since you obviously have a lot of knowledge in this, I have a few more questions: who makes the BEST Plasma TV 42"+? And then who do you think makes the best Plasma TV when considering price/performance/features? Repeat last two questions for LCD under 42" also. :)

If I was you I would wait until DLP technology matures since it has just been introduced a year or so ago. Personally I'd say, if you are looking for a TV up to 37 inch size, go for LCD. Otherwise if you are looking for something bigger, get a plasma for the obvious reasons mentioned before. I just can't stand DLP for the reasons mentioned above as well. Maybe when DLP matures it will be the best, but we still have to wait for that. Most likely, it would be something like Rear Projection TVs are now - big units with inferior qualities. Sorry, the viewing angle just kills those type of TVs for me...

586817008[/snapback]

wicker_man
Hmmm... you pretty much turned me on to Plasma instead of DLP for the larger screens (I may take your advise and get a normal size LCD).  Since you obviously have a lot of knowledge in this, I have a few more questions: who makes the BEST Plasma TV 42"+?  And then who do you think makes the best Plasma TV when considering price/performance/features?  Repeat last two questions for LCD under 42" also.  :)

586817051[/snapback]

For plasmas, as I have mentioned, go with Panasonic's PV500 42-inch HD model. I have given links in one of my previous posts - just read about the technology and the features.

With regards to LCDs...I like the latest Sony Bravia models, they have a very good quality picture, but the only reason I wouldn't buy it is because no one knows what kind of crazy DRM technology Sony might have added there (in the wake of their latest DRM f***-up). Panasonic's Viera range LCDs are very good quality and have all features of the above mentioned plasma (SD card, PC connection, etc...) but if you are trying to opt out for a cheaper alternative, I think you can't go wrong with Samsung, then LG or Philips...

bangbang023

All this useless bickering. Why can't people be helpeful when others make a mistake?

Between those two sets, I would go with the Pioneer. Just look at the picture on the Pioneer. There's nothing anyone needs to say after seeing it.

BigDaddy5

I prefer DLP over Plasma's for several reasons. The image is sharper, there's no pixels or "screen door," effect. DLP's also last longer then Plasma's. Plasma's have an average life about as long as a standard CRT, while DLP's have no rated life, they're expected to last forever. The bulbs will burn out, but it's about a 200-300 dollar unit to get replaced. The screen doesn't suffer from burn-in, nor dead pixels. Plasma's get dead pixels, and there's nothing worse then having a TV as expensive as the Plasma (MSRP 21K? How much is market price, still above 10 grand?) and having a dead pixel in it. But more so, finding out in 10-15 years that the TV you've dropped enough to buy a car for has died. I don't know about you, but I usually like my TV's that cost less then 1% of that to last that long.

bangbang023
I prefer DLP over Plasma's for several reasons.  The image is sharper, there's no pixels or "screen door," effect.  DLP's also last longer then Plasma's.  Plasma's have an average life about as long as a standard CRT, while DLP's have no rated life, they're expected to last forever.  The bulbs will burn out, but it's about a 200-300 dollar unit to get replaced.  The screen doesn't suffer from burn-in, nor dead pixels.  Plasma's get dead pixels, and there's nothing worse then having a TV as expensive as the Plasma (MSRP 21K?  How much is market price, still above 10 grand?) and having a dead pixel in it.  But more so, finding out in 10-15 years that the TV you've dropped enough to buy a car for has died.  I don't know about you, but I usually like my TV's that cost less then 1% of that to last that long.

586817944[/snapback]

whoa whoa. First of all, the image is almost always sharper on a fixed pixel display such as a plasma. Secondly, the mention of screen door effect is mute with plasmas since they don't suffer from it either. That's limited to LCD Projections. DLP's last forever? There is a high speed spinning color wheel that will, naturally, have a limited life and the moving mirrors on the DMD chip are also prone to the same wear and tear.

If people aren't going to be objective, what's the point here? Recommend what's right for him, not what you've come to believe through urban myth and random net rumors. I prefer DLP technology, but how can you sit there and honestly say that Pioneer won't outperform that Samsung in almost every respect? You simply can't.

Boz
whoa whoa. First of all, the image is almost always sharper on a fixed pixel display such as a plasma. Secondly, the mention of screen door effect is mute with plasmas since they don't suffer from it either. That's limited to LCD Projections. DLP's last forever? There is a high speed spinning color wheel that will, naturally, have a limited life and the moving mirrors on the DMD chip are also prone to the same wear and tear.

If people aren't going to be objective, what's the point here? Recommend what's right for him, not what you've come to believe through urban myth and random net rumors. I prefer DLP technology, but how can you sit there and honestly say that Pioneer won't outperform that Samsung in almost every respect? You simply can't.

586818033[/snapback]

bangbang023, I appreciate your involvement because I've read a few of your responses from other threads and I believe that you are on the same page as I am and I value your input. To understand my full situation I would like to explain and maybe you can give me the best advice for my specific case.

I watch TV maybe 10-15 hours a day. That's the TV in the living room. I spend a lot of my time in my home office where I watch TV constantly (it's always on) while I work and this TV doesn't have to be top top of the line TV. It's gonna be abused constantly and it's mostly for digital cable channels and stuff like that.

My living room is very very bright. It has 4 big windows. Viewing distance from the TV would be around 11-12ft. I use this TV to watch some regular TV/HD, play XBox360 on ocassion and watch movies.

In addition to living room I need a TV for my home office. This is a loft space that is spacious but not really a concert hall so the TV in there should be also wall mounted.

It should probably be medium/large size TV since I'll be watching it from around 15ft where I sit.

I also need a wall mounted flat panel for my master bedroom that will be viewed from around 12-13ft too. This TV shouldn't be less then 27".

Now, I was thinking of getting these TVs for rooms that I mentioned above:

1. Samsung 6gen 67" DLP for the living room 1080p ~$4000

2. Panasonic Professional Series 42" Plasma EDTV for the office area ~$1400

3. LCD or Plasma 27"-32" for bedroom ~$1500

I was hoping that these 3 won't go over $7000-$7500.

Can you give me some realistic advice on what to do in my case. That Pioneer really looks nice, but I'm not 100% sure that $7000 for just that TV is really worth it. In the end my whole configuration of TVs will cost me $10,000 which is a bit over the top.

Thank you!

bangbang023

For the living room, you will probably want to go with DLP or LCoS then. While it costs a little more, LCoS has a higher contrast and a brighter picture thus compensating for the poor lighting conditions more. The Samsung is nice, but I don't think it will hold up to the light all that well.

For your office, since you use the set so often, a plasma may not be the best choice for you. You MAY want to scale back on the size a bit and get an LCD. You can, at least, get the backlight replaced when it burns out. You can get a 32" HDTV Samsung for the same price as the Panasonic you were looking at.

For your bedroom, you will have to look at LCD's for that size range. Again, a Samsung would fit into that range pretty well.

That Pioneer is a beautiful set, but you will be using the set way too much to really get the lifespan you may expect out of it.

Boz

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with Samsung 67". I've searched around the web and almost all sites and reviews say that this TV is really really great. I also found out that it has 6000 hours per lamp and the viewing angles are 140 degrees horizontal and 60 degress vertical which is really more then enough considering that it will be watched from 10 feet distance. Plasma is really way too expensive and I can buy all together 3 TVs for the whole house for that price. I gotta admit I was SO tempted to get that 61" Pioneer plasma, they say that the model I was looking at PRO series for business is actually a better set then consumer Pioneer plasmas because it has additional things to prevent burn-ins and it scales images a bit better then consumer/elite models. though it doesn't have speakers and a few "consumer" type of plugs, but even with the price of $6500 it's still way too expensive. After that I decided that for $3800 I get 67" viewing screen, undisputably one of the nicest images (by a few reviewer sites) even with analog reception.

Now, can you guys recommend some very modern and nice looking stands or entertainment centers that will go with this TV. I saw Samsung original one, but I don't want it in silver, I would prefer black/glass combination due to my color combinations in the house. Post some sites with well designed entertainment furniture.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
iownyou14

Id check out Sony's SXRD projection tvs. I got to see the 70" version and it was AMAZING. It also upconverts everything to 1080p and does a good job. The 70" is about $10K but they have a 60" ($5000) and 50" ($4000) as well.

Now, can you guys recommend some very modern and nice looking stands or entertainment centers that will go with this TV. I saw Samsung original one, but I don't want it in silver, I would prefer black/glass combination due to my color combinations in the house. Post some sites with well designed entertainment furniture.

For a stand, check out www.omnimount.com , they have a couple of stands which come in Black and are glass. Their Stellar G-362 model can most likely fit the 67", has a glass top, and comes in black.

bangbang023

Id check out Sony's SXRD projection tvs. I got to see the 70" version and it was AMAZING. It also upconverts everything to 1080p and does a good job. The 70" is about $10K but they have a 60" ($5000) and 50" ($4000) as well.

The Sony SXRD (LCoS technology) is amazingly beautiful. I wish they had come out with it sooner.

As for stands, check out Sanus. They have some really nice looking ones.

• 3 months later...
Trex1024

i would really go with the panasonic than samsung any day because i ve owned panasonics that are still more than 6-5 years old and they still go hard compared to stupid Philips and samsung products. and on that DLP question its still like when lcd came out - viewing angles were always a problem. what i figured is DLP will be good in another few years so for now stick with a panasonic plasma panel

SonComet

I didn't have time to read the rest of the thread (finals week and therefore I am busy), but check out the Panasonic 65PHD8UK. IMHO the picture is nicer than the 61" NEC panel used in the 61" Pioneer.

Edit, I didn't realize this thread was resurrected :(. You already got the 1130HD from what I saw of you posts in the workstation thread a few months ago. Nice choice.

ctebah

i would really go with the panasonic than samsung any day because i ve owned panasonics that are still more than 6-5 years old and they still go hard compared to stupid Philips and samsung products. and on that DLP question its still like when lcd came out - viewing angles were always a problem. what i figured is DLP will be good in another few years so for now stick with a panasonic plasma panel

had nothing better to do than to ressurrect a post almost 4 months old? :blink: