32 inch 4:3 vs 30 inch 16:9 TV

I currently have a 4:3 ratio 32 inch Sony TV. I watch lots of 16:9 movies on it. If I bought a 30 inch 16:9 ratio TV, would that benefit me at all? Or would the picture be around the same size?

just stick with what you have...the difference between the 2 is negligible.....now if you went for a 40"+ 16:9 then you would see a difference

Here something i drew up real quick.... Will show you that it helps for 16:9 shows and stuff, but you will lose screen size on your 4:3 shows, so all depends on what you are looking for...

temp4.jpg

Nows as good as a time as ever to look into a 30 - 34" tube. I'd definitely recommend making the jump to HD now and start enjoying it's benefits along with getting the most out of your DVD's.

Nows as good as a time as ever to look into a 30 - 34" tube. I'd definitely recommend making the jump to HD now and start enjoying it's benefits along with getting the most out of your DVD's.

586818879[/snapback]

No kidding, my parents have a 60 inch wide screen TV and all they use it for is watching Fox News. I don't understand the logic in having a wide screen TV if you don't even watch movies on the thing.

No kidding, my parents have a 60 inch wide screen TV and all they use it for is watching  Fox News.  I don't understand the logic in having a wide screen TV if you don't even watch movies on the thing.

586818941[/snapback]

ALL HD is widescreen. There are a few non HD widescreen sets, but those are a waste of money and any newer sets over 36" have to, at least, have a digital tuner in them, so most come HD ready since both jumps are going to occur simultaneously.

586818879[/snapback]

DVDs aren't HD though. Right?

ALL HD is widescreen. There are a few non HD widescreen sets, but those are a waste of money and any newer sets over 36" have to, at least, have a digital tuner in them, so most come HD ready since both jumps are going to occur simultaneously.

586818946[/snapback]

I have a 27" 4:3 HDTV and I think it's far from a waste of money...

The picture still looks good to me...

I have a 27" 4:3 HDTV and I think it's far from a waste of money...

The picture still looks good to me...

586822487[/snapback]

HD content is widescreen. Why get a fullscreen TV for widescreen broadcasts?

Sony has the best solution so the 4:3/16x9 problem. They reduce scanning to just the 16x9 area when you switch modes on their 4:3, so you get the best of both worlds. Other brands do it too, but I don't know which ones. Definitely not Philips :p I'm taking back this 32" POS I bought back and probably getting the Sony.

I despise Sony as a whole, but I think I'm in love with their excellent televisions.