really slow wireless... :(

im having some problem, my wireless connection feels really slow, like if i download something from microsoft site, i get around 15-25kb/s but on my wired lan (using the same internet connection) i get about 500-600kb/s.....

well first of all, how far are you and what does the connection tell you? how strong is the link connection? Post back that and how fast is the mobile device that you are using because if the CPU isn't that fast it wont allow you to download that fast.

Originally posted by Rudy

im having some problem, my wireless connection feels really slow, like if i download something from microsoft site, i get around 15-25kb/s but on my wired lan (using the same internet connection) i get about 500-600kb/s.....

do you mean you get 500-600 kb/s from the wireless device to a wired device, or a wired computer to an internet site. If the first, then it sounds like an internet connection problem not a wireless issue. But shotta35 is right, alittle more info could help solve your problem if it is a wireless problem. Also want wireless devices are you using and is it in ad-hoc mode or not?

ok, here's some more info:

both wireless connections are basicly side by side, and the connection is "excelent"

i can download from the internet (from a wired computer) at 500-600kb/s

i can only download from the internet using the wireless at 15-20kb/s

the computer im getting the internet from is an anthlon 1800+XP

the laptop getting the connection from the 1800+ is an 1500+XP so i really doubt speed matter :devious:

im using one usb wireless card for the pc and a pc2/3 for the laptop, both linksys and both 11mb/s

im running the network in ad-hoc mode

just thinking off my head here. I have not run an ad-hoc wifi network in awhile so bear with me. There should be an option to set the speed of the link at. Make try setting it to 11MBs. I will think about it more though.

yup, pc has the internet connection and gives it to the laptop with the wireless connection

but i know its the wireless conection who's causing the problem because even transfering a file from computer to computer is slow

There is no best channel. Just kinda cycle thru them to see if you get any improvement. There might be something interfering with the signal. Do you have a 2.4 GHz wireless phone? or even the newer 5.something Ghz phone. Usually those are the *******s that do the interfering. Try switching off the phone and do a quick download really quick. If not you then maybe a neighbor if you are in an apartment.

Ok here are some ideas.

1) When you said the devices were side by side did you mean within a 5 feet radius? If they are really close try to move them apart alittle more. Doubt this will improve anything but maybe you have too much signal up in the surronding area and is messing things up.

2) I assuming that your gf has a wifi network running. Try taking the laptop and PC card back there and test the speed there. Did you use the USB WIFI device over there? or did she have one?

3) When you have to remove/reset the PC card does Windows tell you lost the network connection on the laptop? What about the PC?

4) Are you running anything else USB from your computer? If so does it have it's own power supply or is drawing its power from you PC?

5) Do you got some beer? I seem to be running out here.

Ok last one is a joke. But just trying to figure out where the bottleneck is. I think maybe the USB adapter, but could be wrong.

when i was at my gf's house, i was using my usb adapter. as for the usb port, the adapter is the only device pluged in it. Moving the computer appart wont change a thing.

oh yeah and another thing, i doubt it not getting enough power because at my gf's house, her computer has a smaller power supply and she has a usb network card (wired one)

oh yea, there's some settings i can change, i didnt try changing them but do they look optimised?

Encryption = Disabled

Fragmentation Threshold = 2432

Maximum Listen Interval = 3

Preamble Mode = Long Tx Preamble

RTS Threshold = 2432

oh i think i figured out the problem but i dunno how to fix it.....when i download a file with the laptop, the pc wireless connection seem to only "recieve" and barely send anything

Originally posted by Geronimo

those settings are fine.

What about when you have to reset/reinsert the pc card. Does windows tell you the network is diconnected?

windows doesnt say anything at all, if i disconect the one on the laptop it doesnt say anything and if i unplug the pc one well nothing happen either....is it normal?

It should notice the network connection dropped and spit out some "Network disconnected" or "Lost link to wireless network", if not it might be that one of the wifi devices is freezing. I had a AP that would do this. I would have to reset the AP. Bed time now for me. But tomorrow I will setup an ad-hoc network at my office and see things from a different perceptive.