This is my topic, this is my post, this is for asking, this is for replying

Question

So I have Azureus and I've been pretty pleased with it, minus the fact that it does take quite a bit of memory. Is it worth it to get ?Torrent? Which gets better download speeds?

So pretty much...Which one is better?

all i can say is....... hell yes. i switched from Azureus to uTorrent a month or 2 ago.... and don't even think about looking back. as you said, Azureus takes up quite a bit more resources altogether, let alone memory. also seems to have a much nicer interface to me. the scheduler is nice, being able to set certain times of when you want the bandwidth to be limited, or download as fast as your connection could possibly allow (granted, enough people have to actually be sharing the data to use your full connection speed). I just think it's a better app all around. can't beat the size either.

I'm a BitComet user and I tried utorrent today, I liked that it doesnt take much memory, but the download rate was horrible, I tried to do a lot of things, and nothing, the download was about 1-2 kb/sec, even with files with over 1000 seers. I would love to keep using it, but with that download rate, I will keep my Bitcomet....

I just wish uTorrent had the "swarm" feature that azueres has, I know its a little thing, but when i use uTorrent I miss it. So I haven't fully switched over yet. And also the DHT support. But use uTorrent on my flash drive for a portable BT program, i know how you like your portable program mdunner

u guys must also rember that uTorrent is a new program and is still under heavy dev also there are only 2 devs working on it. Currently i get teh same speeds if not more as other clients azerues/bitcomet Im quite happy with it DHT could improve as its still got a few more updates and features and improvements to have but overall its my default client and im quite happy with it.

I'm not using Azureus anymore and have switched to uTorrent.

I just want to download in a simpler manner. So if you want much more advance features and like to tinker around with torrent settings, etc, then use Azureus, but if not, pick uTorrent ;)

utorrent is PERFECT in every single way for me EXCEPT for speed,

the speed is just horrible, i ran many tests comparing it to bitcomet , and bitcomet gives me much higher speed, no matter how many tweakes i used on utorrent ...

with the same exact torrent bitcomet gives me 100KB+ and utorrent wont even rise above 25KB .. time after time after time

i hope this will change , as i see so many others with the same problem , its the only

thing preventing me from making it my main client .. :/

Where exactly can I find a portable version of ?Torrent?

586819596[/snapback]

Just download the exe and put it on your drive.

I tried all 3 of them, and I would like to share my experience as well:

uTorrent is indeed very small, and it uses very little memory. However, its speed is slower than BitTorrent and Azureus. Someone had already said that is due to the poor DHT handling. It does not handle UPnP well too.

BitComet has very good interface and many useful function. It uses about 30MB memory on average. However, its memory usage slowly increases overt time. Also BitComet uses an algorithm that upload much less than people seeds. It is nice if the torrent you are downloading has lots of seeders, but it would suck if there is very little.

Azureus uses lots of memory, and it does not give as much function as the other two. However, Azureus has excellent DHT and UPnP handling. It uploads more generously than the other two. If you need to download something that has very little seeders/leechers, Azureus is the only one to go. If you do want to use Azureus, then I recommend you downloading 2.3.0.5 Beta rather than 2.3.0.4 . There are actually less bugs in beta versions.

uTorrent:

Smaller, gets the job done fast. BitTorrent clients should be used for just that, not for chat rooms, web browsers, etc.

Azureus: Larger, a bit bloated in my opinion, takes tons of memory, powered by Java, etc. :p

My vote definately goes to uTorrent.

No one cares to mention the awesome seeding options in Azureus?

Since it constantly fetches L:S ratio from the trackers, you can set it up in a way that it would seed the torrents that are closest to death.

Does uTorrent have this btw? I've never tried it.

I'm testing out ?Torrent right now and have noticed that, yes, it is a whole lot smaller than Azureus, but it doesn't seem to download nearly as fast. I'm thinking of keeping Azureus as my default client while I put ?Torrent on my flash drive as a nice alternative. Unless someone can give me good reason to switch from Azureus to BitComet.;);)

i made the switch from azureus to bitcomet, and never looked back. but recently i switched from bitcomet to utorrent, and i will never even think of using bitcomet ever again. uTorrent is amazing.