[FC4] Where does my swap HD go?

After setting up Fedora Core 4, I can't see the swap hard drive in windows xp or FC4... where does it go  :cry:

586820680[/snapback]

It's not visible. You can't technically store you own stuff on it like you could a regular partition, because it's used for the system's swap. It's formatted and mounted specifically for this purpose. Windows can't browse Linux partitions either (at least not natively, AFAIK).

so what exactly does that HD do and if i wanna exchange in between two OS, what do I do?

Thanks for the fast respond =)

Side Q: I d/l FFox and I can't seem to get the 'firefox-installer' to work. I tried Run, Run in Terminal... but just nothing happened...

I'm pretty new to Linux so this sucks... :wacko:

so what exactly does that HD do and if i wanna exchange in between two OS, what do I do?

Thanks for the fast respond =)

Side Q: I d/l FFox and I can't seem to get the 'firefox-installer' to work.  I tried Run, Run in Terminal... but just nothing happened...

I'm pretty new to Linux so this sucks...  :wacko:

586820695[/snapback]

If you're in Windows you can use Explore2fs to browse your ext2/ext3 linux partitions.

For your FFox question: you have to open up a terminal window, and then navigate to wherever you downloaded the file to (for example, if you downloaded it to your desktop, you'd type " cd /home/YourUserName/Desktop " without the quotes). Then you should just be able to type ./firefox-installer and it should install for you!

Yeah, Firefox is already included. If it is old, just do a yum update in a terminal (as root), and you will update your entire installation. (Y)

As for your swap, if you just want to confirm it is active, you can do a free command, and see your usage there at the bottom. You can also (again, as root) do a fdisk -l (that is a lowercase letter "L", not the number "1") and it will report every single partition on all drives seen. You can identify all your Windows and Linux partitions with that.

How do I use yum update to update firefox? :s

EDIT: I just typed yum update in terminal and it's running now... dunno if i should do anything after it's done

Well, it will likely download a new updated kernel for you, in amongst everything else.

If you want to run on the newer kernel, reboot. If not, enjoy all your new apps (you will have to close/stop any currently running app/daemon and restart them to run the newer version). That is, if you have firefox open when you update, you won't use the new one until you start a new firefox session.