Digital Camera accesories

Let's say I have decided to buy a digital camera (in my case that would be a Nikon Coolpix 8700). I know that the retail package usualy brings the device, some manuals, drivers. But what are the accesories i would definitely need and are most likely to not be included in the package. For example this particular camera uses:

- Compact Flash Type I or Type II

- IBM Microdrive supported

Though I don't know much about IBM microdrive, a 1 GB KINGSTON Compact Flash Elite Pro card would suffice ?

Should I also consider a tripod and a bag for the camera ?

I have a 256mb CF card for my 4500 and have never actually filled it all the way up, but given the option of a 1GB i'd get it.

Definitly a camera bag. I took my camera to the camera shop and found which bag fit best and looked sturdiest. Ended up with this one: http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Camera_Pou...assic/Z_30.aspx

Its beat up but works well, also holds the nikon battery very nicely.

A tripod is nice but depending on what you're doing, not completely necessary. If you're taking lots of indoor shots (family photos), or dim light/night shots, definitly a good thing to have. I have one, don't remember which one because its out in my car...

I'd also look into a second battery. I have one and its nice. I keep one charged and in the bag, and one in the camera. When the camera one dies, I swap them and charge the dead one, then put it in the camera bag. If i'm going for a long trip, like backpacking, I'll borrow more batteries from my sister.

I thought that I might also take some movie clips and these usually tend to fill up a lot of space, so I went for the 1GB CF. I guess a 512MB would work aswell. I'll also go for a camera bag. Thanks for the reply Whiffle.

your camera is 8MP. If you ever consider to shoot in RAW, the 1gb card will be more than a minimum. As if you should buy a speedy one, ask your vendor to try it in store. Jpeg are fast but writing raw file on the card is slower. So use both card in store, while shooting in raw. The 8700 is supposed to shoot 2.5 frame per secons up to 12 pictures. See if the standard memory can do it or not. Also, if you dont think you gonna use continuous shoot, then it's a waste of money..