Hooking a 360 up via VGA

Okay, so when I get my 360 on Tuesday morn. I am wanting to find the Xbox 360 VGA HD cable also. My monitor is not too big (19"), but I have no problem with playing the 360 on my monitor.

So here is my question:

If I hook the 360 up via this cable, will I be able to run in HDTV modes that the 360 supports or will it still be a lower resolution, or what resolution should I be able to achieve using this method?

like, couldn't I get 720p at least by using this cable?

Okay, so when I get my 360 on Tuesday morn. I am wanting to find the Xbox 360 VGA HD cable also. My monitor is not too big (19"), but I have no problem with playing the 360 on my monitor.

So here is my question:

If I hook the 360 up via this cable, will I be able to run in HDTV modes that the 360 supports or will it still be a lower resolution, or what resolution should I be able to achieve using this method?

My monitor supports resolutions up to 1280x1024 **I THINK** (don't remember)

586827289[/snapback]

umm, your monitor will need to be HDTV sorry to say.

That really helps a lot, but would I get a better picture than on the tv by hooking up to the monitor?

Sorry, I don't know much about HDTV or tv resolutions :(

Kevcart lylesback2 is completely wrong (no offence man). HDTV modes such as 720p (what most games will be rendered internally) are simply higher resolutions (1280x720 for 720p). The xbox360 can upscale/downscale to fit a variety of resolutions however (1280x1024 for example, or 1080i).

So chances are your monitor being 19" can handle that resolution (most 19" are 1600x1200 and above). The i and p in HDTV modes stand for "interlaced" and "progressive". To simplify things progressive means all the screen is processed at once during a screen refresh and as a result the quality is higher and the motion of the tv/monitor is much smoother. Now this brings up the debate on what's better, 720p vs 1080i. However chances are you won't be able to use 1080i on your monitor (it's 1920x1024 i believe). But chances are even if you could 720p would look the best for any type of gaming.

Thanks for the help, I was probably going to invest in the vga adapter anyway, but I just wanted to be sure that I might get a better resolution than a tv would. (Y) :D