[Chemistry] Help Needed

Hey guys,

I need some help here with formulas and names. Got a test tomorrow and I don't really understand it maybe someone here can make it a little easier for me :)

Ok..

Ionic --> Metals

Molecular --> Non-Metals

Understand that..

Now Writing the formulas is where im having problems

Nickel II Chromate would be

N1Cr04

HTF do they get this?

And Cesium Carbonate

Cs2Co3

Im very confused and I have a test tomorrow. I know how to distinguish from ionic and molecular but I cant tell which need the roman numerals or which I actually have to switch the 2+, 1- how would you determine the charge and roman numeral!

Forgive me for my spelling I have 4 stitches in my finger.

Hey guys,

I need some help here with formulas and names. Got a test tomorrow and I don't really understand it maybe someone here can make it a little easier for me :)

Ok..

Ionic --> Metals

Molecular --> Non-Metals

Understand that..

Now Writing the formulas is where im having problems

Nickel II Chromate would be

N1Cr04

HTF do they get this?

And Cesium Carbonate

Cs2Co3

Im very confused and I have a test tomorrow. I know how to distinguish from ionic and molecular but I cant tell which need the roman numerals or which I actually have to switch the 2+, 1- how would you determine the charge and roman numeral!

Forgive me for my spelling I have 4 stitches in my finger.

586833758[/snapback]

i think the Cesium II chromate is the one for the roman numeral, but u should check this with somebody else to be sure for this.

you have to make it so that the total charge of the atom = 0

using cesium carbonate as an example

the charge on cesium is +1

carbonate is CO3 usually which has a valance of -2

therefore cesium carbonate should be

Cs2(CO3)

to make the charge 0, you need ot have the same amount of positive charge as you have negative charge

you have -2 negative charge, and +1 positive charge, so you need 2 times as many positive ions to make a 2 positive charge (hence Cs2)