Buying a TV - Help Me Decide.

The Sony or The Toshiba or The Samsung (Sorry couldn't find product on Epinions).

Which should I get? Both sound good, not sure which to get. They're around the same price, size, etc. Keep in mind I will be hooking up a 360, DVD, and Tivo. Please help me chose the right choice. Also should I even attempt to buy online? Or is it safer to buy in store, but pay a pretty penny. Thanks so much!!!

edit// I do see a difference in the Broadcast displayed/supported. What does that mean? Which is better? Thanks again! :)

Edited by Spykes424

I would go for the Toshiba...I assume it's DLP vs LCoS. While Sony has a nice picture, there are a few things that bugged me. First you pay a premium price for the brand name and second LCoS displays have a nasty problem in fast moving scenes. You can see LCD part not being able to keep up. Toshiba on the other hand, costs much less, has a beautiful picture (I saw a 62" DLP version at my friend's house and it looked really nice) and doesn't suffer that much from fast moving scenes like LCoS.

What? Did you even check out the sets he's comparing? They are both CRT's.

I would personally go with the Sony as it has a better contrast than the Toshiba set. I've seen both of them side by side, so I know for a fact the Sony is better. If you can find a 30" Sony with Super Fine Pitch, that would be an even better solution.

I forgot to mention one set you may also want to consider. The Samsung TXR3079WH . It's got a great picture and is a thin tube TV meaning it's only about 16" deep. It's the set I would probably go with most of the time when looking at 30" tubes.

hmm can't find review of the samsung on epinions, but i bet it's nice. Problem in the price. That's why i was considering ordering online, is it worth it? Also can you guys recommend good online shops? Is the samsung that much more expensive and is it worth it? Thanks guys!!!

thanks for the great responses, problem is price. I can barely spring for 800, i'm in high school haha. But a 36" LCD! What brand? Price? Thanks so much guys, you guys are a great help!

in all honesty you need to view them in person. Just because the specs say one is better doesnt mean the picture lives up to it.

For example i know a TV set that claims to have a 5000:1 contrast ratio but.. when you compare it to a panny 3000:1 the panny wins hands down

Plus ive seen a few sales going on right now for LCDs that are going to those prices... and i think it was a 36inch too

save your money and do some more research

What? Did you even check out the sets he's comparing? They are both CRT's.

I would personally go with the Sony as it has a better contrast than the Toshiba set. I've seen both of them side by side, so I know for a fact the Sony is better. If you can find a 30" Sony with Super Fine Pitch, that would be an even better solution.

586840823[/snapback]

You are right, on CRT I would go SONY all the way, but I agree with Samsung suggestion. Samsung had a beautiful picture in CRT versions.

I personally have old 36" Sony CRT as well with WEGA engine and it's great. I never regreted getting it.

hmm can't find review of the samsung on epinions, but i bet it's nice. Problem in the price. That's why i was considering ordering online, is it worth it? Also can you guys recommend good online shops? Is the samsung that much more expensive and is it worth it? Thanks guys!!!

586840873[/snapback]

It shouldn't be more expensive than the Sony.

Okay, let's be honest here. The main reason for me buying a new TV, is so I can get the full 360 experience. Now will a CRT HDTV look just as good as an HDTV LCD or Plamsa? The only thing they have better is thiness right? Or is there some other component that makes the games look better on LCD + Plasmas, that it just won't work on a CRT like these. Please let me know, I know these are nice sets, but am I wasting my money?

Okay, let's be honest here. The main reason for me buying a new TV, is so I can get the full 360 experience. Now will a CRT HDTV look just as good as an HDTV LCD or Plamsa? The only thing they have better is thiness right? Or is there some other component that makes the games look better on LCD + Plasmas, that it just won't work on a CRT like these. Please let me know, I know these are nice sets, but am I wasting my money?

586843287[/snapback]

LCD's, when running at native resoltion, will always have a slightly better picture than a CRT, but a CRT, because it's not fixed pixel handles all resolutions better than a fixed pixel display.

well just on a quick look i found you this.. and it turned up fast

http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign...472&shop=OUTLET

34 in Widescreen HDTV Monitor

34PW8402/37B

An HDTV monitor with HDMI the ultimate in digital connectivity. Its widescreen format ensures that nothing is missing from your movies and with Dolby? Virtual Surround sound and 20 watt audio power you're in for an unmatched cinema experience. And like its award-winning predecessors this Philips TV has been designed so beautifully you'll want to look at it even when its switched off.

Availability: In Stock

Online Price: $694.99

Free Shipping

on this item

What i know about phillips is that they are one of the largest TV manufactures and have a very good loyal brand out there.

This seems to fit your budget and be HDTV so.... go see if you can find more info on the TV and a store who carries a non refurb model

BTW theres nothing wrong with refurb

hmm, wow thanks for the great responses. Well I stopped by BB today. In order of quality I think it went:

1. Samsung (Brighter, Crisper)

2. Sony

3. Toshiba

Problem is price, should I risk trying to order a Samsung (refurbished or new) or a Sony online for cheap? Or is it worth buying it in the store so I can return if for any problems. Can anyone recommend some online stores? Or rebate secrets or something? Thanks so much, you guys have been an awesome help, especially bangbang. :)

See why I'm tempted? $599 here, $899 at BB. :-\ What should I do?!

.. although, the Samsung seems to be getting mixed reviews, while Sony is getting pretty awesome ones. People say the Samsung has gray colors instead of black, and geometry problems and bending and blurred edges? Hmm.. Problem?

edit// one more thing, what's the difference (other than the price) of this and this.

Edited by Spykes424

I'd say get the Samsung online if you can get it cheaper (just remember to factor in shipping costs).

As for those two Samsung models, I was talking to the Samsung rep the other day and we hit upon the two models. The only difference is the bottom mounted speakers.

The reviews? Well, I can't discount how good the Sony sets are, but the Samsungs are also very good. A few people have reported geometry problems, but I have yet to see them for myself. If you are concerned about things like that, buy it at Best Buy and use those 30 days to test it and return it if you don't like it.

And just a tip for everyone, according to the rep, all Samsung tubes are going slimfit next year.

just found this one + 4 inches bigger!! is it as good as the others? I think i'm gonna stay away from the samsung, because I have read a lot of reviews and threads about bad issues it's having. Getting positive feedback from Toshiba's and Sonys.

This one looks, nice?

Or, which do you think is best for 360/DVDs/TV. Which is best?

What does it mean when it says that last 34" is HDTV not HD-Ready, you don't need a digital cable box or something??? Thanks again, you guys rock!

That Toshiba 34hf83 is two years old.

HDTV means it has an HD tunerb uilt in allowing you to use an off air antenna to get your local channels in HD without the need for an external tuner.