Nikon D50 lenses

Alright, well the D50 is probably the camera for me (unless someone can point differently for a SLR like or SLR camera with similar performance for cheaper)

I'm able to get the body for $500 new, but where should i get lenses (new or used)? I really want a 4x zoom and it doenst have to be the best of everything and max i wanna spend is about $120.. any ideas?

Is there another camera in this $650 under catagory thats worth it?

would this be good?

http://www.wisetronics.com/product_p/nk28100mm3.55.6.htm

or this?

http://www.wisetronics.com/product_p/nk70300mm4.0-5.6g.htm

the 18-55mm D50 lens is around 4x. I think the street price is around 250$CAD

If you want a lil bit more, then 18-70mm is around 400$CAD

As for a zoom, my pick will always be the Sigma 70-300mm DG apo (the APO is very important) (that is what I have)

The Sigma always got better score than the nikkor in mags and on website FYI

Now, depending on your budget, you can buy 18-55 then 70-300 and you will only have a small hole from 55 to 70mm.

Personally, this is not a big lose because this is not a range I use

For the camera question, Nikon D50 is really the same thing as Canon Rebel XT even if some website said D50 makes slightly better pics and XT and even D70s. And btw, pixel in a camera isnt everything ;)

Edit: added links

Edited by Pink Floyd

Some users can find only 1 lens useful because they keep the same lens all the time. But in no way, an all in one lens can replace 2lens that fit to the range. For exemple, a 18-200 lens will not perform as good as a 18-55 + 55-200 lens from sigma for exemple..

my 2 cents

Alright, So this is the lens i should get?

http://www.acephotodigital.com/sc/review-p...date=11_23_2005

Also, whats the minimum focus distance for the 18-55

586850918[/snapback]

Your link shows the old model. And I'm not even sure if they show the real model as the APO version has a red line on the lens. This is the proof of the APO compared to the non-APO version that has a white line.

The 2005 model had DG in the name and doesnt have macro II anymore (70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro)

I don't know if the DG version has any improvement from the old version that is awsome anyway.

An interesting feature on the Sigma lens is the macro founction 1:2. When you set your focal between 200 and 300mm, you can set the lens to macro and shoot some nice macro pics. This is not a real macro lens since it only zoom your subject compared to a real macro lens. But the pics are nice. Later, if you want to buy a real macro lens (at 600$ hehe), then go for it.

About your minimal focus distance of the 18-55mm, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's 1.5M

would this be the one?

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-sho...&rf=dt#includes

Also, as ive been reading, you can i guess use older lenses with the nikon cameras. Would there be a 70-200/300 that would have as good quality that i might be able to get less expensive, or is that sigma really the best one in that range?

Another thing, is there a 18-100 or somthing that would be better then nikon's 18-55 within $130ish?

Sorry for all the questions, being a high schooler means money really comes from saving up a long time and isnt disposable

Edited by caveman017

1. Yes it is. This is the lens I am talking about. And at that price and compared to the nikkor 70-300mm and also tamron 70-300mm, Sigma APO is the best one. The nikkor is better rated than the sigma in some magazines but it is also at higher price. Where I live, the sigma is 330$CAD and the nikkor is around 490$CAD. And for the image quality difference, it is not worth the price difference.

2. Yes, you can use older lens but by using older lens, you potentially can be obligated to run in manual and have no information on lights and some focus don't work. Unless you have older lens and you can get some at very low price, then I wouldnt buy older ones.

3. Usually, it is not a good idea to replace 2 lens by only one lens with a wider range. You wont have the same quality. Personally, I have no idea how good are rated lens at 18-100mm range. There is a Sigma 18-125mm but I havent seen any review of that lens yet

let me ask you a question. What will be the main purpose of the camera and what else will you do with at part time?

let me ask you a question.  What will be the main purpose of the camera and what else will you do with at part time?

586856319[/snapback]

Well i've gotten into the habit of taking pictures of almost everything, and my canon A510 i have right now gives off too much noise for almost anything indoor to turn out sharp.

Also I take a lot of pictures of track during the winter (indoor) and spring (outdoor) and the only way i could get half a picture indoor with my current camera is boost to ISO400 and its super grainy and almost not worth the picture. And outdoor, the pic to pic on my canon is almost a second with focus time

Nikon D50's are good i'm actually looking at moving to a DSLR soon too.

I'm looking at the D70 myself.

beat cheaper from what i'm seeing

good luck

ok well for sport even, D50 is nice because of his 1/4000s shutter speed. D70 and Canon 20D has both 1/8000s which is another step.

and for shooting things at high distance, the Sigma will do the job. But be aware that if there is not much light indoor, you wil want to invest in a f/2.8 lens one of these days that cost double your D50 camera price hehe

i still support saving up and gettin 70-200mm VR (best mid to long range zoom) ... u can easily add an extender to that and have more reach and still keep the excellent image quality and VR.

i would also add a 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 in addition to the 70-200mm VR, u will not need an upgrade for a long time lens wise.

Well for now I'm getting the lens kit with the 18-55 3.5-5.6 mainly because its only $80 more then the body only to get the kit, and from what ive read you can always sell it for about $100-120 so.

I'm also picking up in the next week or so the Nikon 50mm F/1.8 and i tried it at the store yesterday... here check this out.. ISO 800, no flash, indoor with little light, 1/200s, F1.8

post-32248-1133699212_thumb.jpg