vBulletin or IPB?

Question

I am on the latest version of IPB and loving it.. except that the IPB support team are a bunch of pr!cks

So, I'm making a new website, current (and honest) expectations are for it to be a big hit = many users, much activity, many posts.

The last version of VB i used was 3 Gold, and since then it has changed drastically.

I know that VB was always several steps ahead of IPB.. Are they still?

Which way should I go?

Oh yeah, PHPbb NO WAY! Its the ugliest, most insecure, undeveloped and buggy piece of sh!t.

I'd say IPB which I'm using. Sure Vbulletin has some nice features IPB lack, but the reverse is also true. The only thing I like about Vbulletin more than IPB is the WYIWYG editor. I just think it's better on Vbulletin, or at least more evolved....

As for which one is best and most evloved. I'd have to say that Vbulletin is probably a little more evolved but the gap is far less than it used to be.....

At least so I think!

IPB is looking 10 000 times more like a bulletin. The standard theme of vB looks like ****. I haven't tryed vB, but IPB I have, and I just adore it. Its clean, and still what you ask for.

Then I will say IPB!

i'm not looking for free, its a legit site I can stand to spend on.

I just need someone that has used both VB and IPB LATEST VERSIONS to tell me which to go with.

I have used many including IPB and VB and at the present day it has to be IPB, 2 years or even a year ago I would of said VB but with 2.1 it has to be IPB.

although iceBB and MyBB are my favourite.

I have used many including IPB and VB and at the present day it has to be IPB, 2 years or even a year ago I would of said VB but with 2.1 it has to be IPB.

although iceBB and MyBB are my favourite.

586844465[/snapback]

I agree with MyBB. Because vB and IPB are both under pressure of paying customers, they tend to what I call "over-innovate" (adding features just to add features, with questionable usefulness).

MyBB is fast, free and currently my first choice, mainly because it doesn't have the cheap aura most free bulletin boards (phpBB etc.) have, yet it's not bloated either.

Vb by FAR.. soz but 3.5 is the best out IMHO, plugins via xml and tonnes more. Easier to skin aswell I find and a generally better Hack community www.vbulletin.org for that :)

OK then, how about the userbase?

I know people cannot stand phpBB unless it is incredibly heavily customized (like Pro-networks.org/forum) and unrecognizable as phpbb.

I have found users to be happy posting on IPB, very easy to use, many features, look sharp, etc.

I am checking out iceBB, and myBB as I post....

Also, does VB have an eval version?

AND, one more Q, I will be making skins for a WordPress Blog and whatever forum I choose that match my website, which will be xhtml + css

Is mybb or icebb easy to skin (i really do like mybb thus far)

Do they have nice hacks? (i'm not too great in PHP, asp is my style)

I would say IPB, we used both when setting up a forum at college and IPB seems easier and looks nicer.

Isn't IceBB from the members of the IPB team who left when IPB turned commerical?

yeah, it is.

But I have a question: is iceBB dead?!

their domain is gone, what's the official site?

nvm thier site is having SERIOUS issues

Edited by Computer Guru

yeah, it is.

But I have a question: is iceBB dead?!

their domain is gone, what's the official site?

586851509[/snapback]

I don't know it has been down since yesterday, I hope not, well there is always myBB.

i updated my post...

I know mutant monkey, i'm sure he wont be quitting, though development has been very slow recently.

586851562[/snapback]

But then most open source forums have slow development, that is the only reason I can see is worth paying for a forum, you get fast development, although we have got to the stage where they can't think of anything more to add.

Only the paid ones. phpBB still has a long way to go. The admin CP for phpBB is, compared to IPB (v2+), frankly is utter rubbish.

vB and IPB have distinctly different flavours. IPB is more a community built around a forum, and vB is more a forum built around a community.

If you want to run a talk-based community, i'd go for IPB.

If you want to run a content-based community, i'd go for vB.

I find that a very interesting thing.....

How did you figure that one out? I mean, a forum is a forum, no? How can the forum itself determine the type of community?

I hate phpBB, but I would be interested in knowing if it is talk-based or content-based in your opinion.

Also, can I migrate from IPB to vBulletin?

I find that a very interesting thing.....

How did you figure that one out? I mean, a forum is a forum, no? How can the forum itself determine the type of community?

I hate phpBB, but I would be interested in knowing if it is talk-based or content-based in your opinion.

Also, can I migrate from IPB to vBulletin?

586854434[/snapback]

I don't quite understand that because a forum is a forum right? Like neowin use to run phpBB and vB at one point and the community was big then but when they changed to IPB it did not change talk-based community it still had content???

vB has a system called Impex for migrating which a clever script because this one script supports loads of forums, including IPB of course.

IPB over vB any day.

It seems that, from what I've read, vB are starting to copy IPB with new features.

Plus IPB looks and works better for both wnd users and admin, so I've found.

IPB is a better forum. vB is a better portal.

Of course, both of them have rather shocking portals on installation but the vB portal mods just seem better to me.

Compare:

http://www.1src.com (vBulletin)

https://www.neowin.net (IPB)

586857208[/snapback]

Well that's wrong because both of those Portals were not coded by IPB or VB they are custom scripts like neowin was development for the Virtuanews script.

Here are the proper portals examples:

IPB Portal - This ain't the latest version this is 2 not 2.1

vB has 2 examples - one of have to pay for which is vBportal and vBadvanced is free

vBadvanced

phpPortals

vbPortal

Hope that clears that up

Virtuanews this is basically neowin portal.