Ques. on structure and bonding of particles

The atoms/molecules in solids are closer together than in a liquid. In a solid the atoms/molecules are held in a tight 'lattice' structure. In a liquid they are further apart and have freedom to move...this is why you can pour liquids. In a gas they are even further apart.

I don't really know why water is different, I believe it has something to do with the moleculer structure.

I don't know anything about Xenon, but as far as I know, the charge of an atom/molecule has no effect on the state it is in. It is down to it's temperature, pressure and volume.

If Xenon is a gas at room temperature then it can be put under pressure to make it a liquid. Literally pressing the molecules together.

The atoms/molecules in solids are closer together than in a liquid. In a solid the atoms/molecules are held in a tight 'lattice' structure. In a liquid they are further apart and have freedom to move...this is why you can pour liquids. In a gas they are even further apart.

I don't really know why water is different, I believe it has something to do with the moleculer structure.

I don't know anything about Xenon, but as far as I know, the charge of an atom/molecule has no effect on the state it is in. It is down to it's temperature, pressure and volume.

If Xenon is a gas at room temperature then it can be put under pressure to make it a liquid. Literally pressing the molecules together.

586847662[/snapback]

actually, i needed these for a piece of homework but figured them out before handing the work in.

for xenon, when electron drift occurs, it creates a partial charge on the atom which makes temporary dipole-dipole forces which therefore attracts other neighbouring atoms even further causing them to become liquid.

for water, its about the lattice geometry. in ice, the lattice collapses in on itself because it is an "open lattice". the molecule is in a tetrahedral shape, so with hydrogen bonding, each h20 molecule is strongly attracted to other molecules making a hard substance, but not very dense.