Christmas Gift - Canon Rebel XT & Lens

Ok, well first of all, happy thanksgiving everyone. Christmas is coming around the corner and i think i have decided on what i want. I plan on getting the canon rebel xt and this lens. Would that be a good lens to get for general shooting? Any help is appreciated due to the fact that i want to start out in photography with complete manual yet i am still new to it all.

for $200 US? those are okay lenses. definately beginner, if you keep this hobby, i'm sure you'll end up replacing them.

the thing about photography is the lens is more important that the camera body. lenses last longer than the body, maybe u could get a cheaper body and a better lens.

but if you just want something simple then that should be okay. but i'd read some reviews on those lenses first.

at that price, this is a good deal.

Personally, 200mm isnt enough form y needs. Hving a 70-300mm myself from Sigma (the APO) edition of course, makes it a wider range and even with a hole between the 55 and the 70mm which I have because of my 18-55mm lens.

If and only if you want the Rebel XT and can have a good deal for the body only,. then buy this duo, otherwise, I'd say to get the default 18-55mm lens from canon ajnd then buy a better zoom

depend on your budget too

this is the lens I have but mounted for Nikon. Make sure however it is the DG version. If there is no DG, that will mean it's a older lens. My lens is named: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

they droped the macro super II name when they introduced the DG version. Well this is what they did with the nikon edition of the lens, I guess it's the same with the canon edition