Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger

As you have heard, I've got Ubuntu Linux running now, so what's a distro without a great review?

Installation

Okay, I'm partial to Text Mode installers, but Ubuntu takes the cake, this is clearly the best installer I have ever used! It was nice, quick and easy, and it's another "just works" installer from the developers of Debian! Okay, so I confess to enjoying the Debian-installer experience, what a relief to "swirlyheads", my nickname for Debian users. Now, all it needs is a GUI and Ubuntu's install will be perfect! It even detected my "Windows NT/2000/XP" installation! :)

(p.s. Debian now has a GUI installer, but Ubuntu's Dapper Drake release won't have it, Ubuntu will become more of a Mepis clone next time around.)

First Boot

You thought the installation was over right? No, that was just the core system! Greeted by GRUB with the options of Ubuntu modes, and Windows XP, I selected Ubuntu and hoped for the best...the best bootup ever! Sure, their new bootsplash might only be 16 colors, but then after we have to install more packages (of all things to do!). When that was (finally) finished, I was asked a few more questions, then I got a GDM login (well, this was a few months ago, now I swiched to KDM), and then a Gnome desktop...decked out in BROWN of all colors! Well, at least you can easily stop that insanity...in many ways! The way I took...went for KDE!

The K Desktop Experience

Installing KDE was one of the easiest things I had ever done, just had to wave a magic finger on the command line, "sudo apt-get install kde". APT is the most fun way of installing stuff. Wow Shuttleworth, you really made a good choice of base distro (way to not be RPM based). With a simple command, I had a fully functioning KDE 3.4.3 in 15 minutes. Awhile after, I upgraded to 3.5, and in the time between, installed many different window managers via APT.

Final Report:

This review may have been a bit short, but for a one disc wonder, Ubuntu 5.10 is that good!

9/10

yep very easy installer.

I've never installed an OS before, but this was so easy. Took me under an hour (most of the time was waiting for the blazing fast 400Mhz processor to run)

Please post a few screenshots of different elements. Makes the review look more profesional

Yes, Ubuntu is a user-friendly Linux distribution with lots of documentation and an active community. Definitely give it a try! :)

586857634[/snapback]

Thanks! I'll give it a try on one of my old computers cause this computer has alot of stuff that I need, I don't want to reformat if I don't like UBUNTU...

• 4 weeks later...