Outlook 2003 will not Archive/AutoArchive anything

Question

The title explains it all. When I tell it to Archive, the status bar will say Archiving... for a few seconds, then go blank. There are no errors, but nothing gets done. The settings shown below have been applied to all folders.

12 answers to this question

While in Outlook: click Help --> Detect and Repair (you may need to click the double arrow at the bottom to see this). Then install Office 2003 SP2. Hope this helps. It's also possible that you don't have anything older than 7 days to archive?

My bad on the 3 month time...new contact lenses STILL didn't help!

Now for the semi-obvious stuff.

Is your F: drive FAT32? If so, the pst can't be larger than 2GB (file system limitation). How large is it?

Was archive2.pst created with Outlook 2003? If not, it still cannot be larger than 2GB (size limitation with previous OL versions). OL 2003 can create pst files that go beyond the 2GB limit (but cannot convert...needs to be exported to a new pst file).

Have you tried exporting to a NEW pst file?

Available drive space?

F: is NTFS, with 107 GB free.

archive2.pst is 389 MB, created with Outlook 2003. I've tried archiving to a new PST, it does the same exact thing. It creates the new PST, but with nothing in it.

The scanpst.exe command was very good information to have. It did not fix my problem though. I found out that because I had moved the .PST file that the modified date for the emails was the date I moved the file to the new PC so when I told it to archive emails older then xx/xx/xxxx it used the date I moved the pst file not the date of the email. Thought this might help some if the scanpst.exe does not work.

I have exactly the same problem, it is driving me crazy. I am running Outlook 2003. My main personal folder (Outlooks.pst) is currently about 6GB. I just noticed I have been keeping e-mails from 2002. Luckily all of them are categorized into subfolders by month, then by year.

I just tried to archive it, and it created archive.pst. I even tested it by opening it, it has almost ALL folders in it, but has no e-mails.

I have no SCANPST.EXE on my computer. Where is it exactly located?

EDIT: Found it here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

Reading deputydog's post above, I think this is the main reason. I also moved my e-mails from an old computer to a new one, by Importing the e-mails from Outlook Express to Outlook about a year ago. This may be the cause for this.

In this case, we can manually Archive folders by creating a new PST and moving the old e-mails to that folder, then Closing that folder when we don't need to use it.

Thanks!

Edited by hyedipin

I did the Detect and Repair, and I'm already running Office SP2. The time limit I have set is 3 months, and there is definitely stuff older than 3 months to archive.

I hope you meant u were running Office 2003 SP3*, but SP3 is the latest build of Office 2003

I have the same issue. I have tried everything above and calender will not archive anything. I have been trying to archive items more than 3 months and it says it does it but nothing is moved. This is an issue because I do not want to lose this data and I use a blackberry and Google calendar sync. Because google calender only keeps 90 days of data when I try to sync with the blackberry it wantsto delete all that data older than what is on google calender out my outlook.

I see that this issue hasn't been resolved. There is a very simple solution.

Step 1) Create the PST file

Step 2) It will open the PST file at the bottom of the Mail window pane ("Archive Folders"), but it will be empty and no e-mails will have been moved (as is our issue!).

Step 3) Simply select all the e-mails you would like to archive (e.g. dated 31/08/09 and earlier) and drag into the archive folder Inbox.

Step 4) You can now Close the Archive folder, safe in the knowledge that your emails have been archived!