lcd vs crt question

I've seen LCD's and frankly... not impressed. I own an NEC 42" plasmasync multimedia panel, and frankly, I haven't seen anything come close to the picture quality of my panel. I really can't see how they justify the cost with LCD's, and I really would not recommend any LCD over a good NEC plasmasync monitor.

I had a friend buy a pioneer 60" plasma a few months after me, and even that image looks bad compared to mine (I think it has something to do with the frame replace technology).

Take a look at an image here from Monsters Inc.:

post-76935-1137081860.jpg

I just cant justify the cost of LCD.

I know what you're saying wulfshayde but I can't afford a plasma so they might as well not exist. Plus the LCD isn't that costly at ?360 ($840 AUD) being hdtv ready etc.

Plasmas do look much better than LCDs and indeed CRTs but they are so expensive and you can't get them any smaller than about 28". That picture would look even better if you were playing a HD-DVD instead of a normal dvd too.

Plasmas do look much better than LCDs and indeed CRTs but they are so expensive and you can't get them any smaller than about 28". That picture would look even better if you were playing a HD-DVD instead of a normal dvd too.

586860447[/snapback]

Plus, plasmas and PC's dont't mix.

Plus, plasmas and PC's dont't mix.

586860496[/snapback]

Yes. Plasmas are essentially a flat CRT TV. The phosphors are just lit up a different way, rather than having electrons beamed from behind they are excited by the plasma somehow. LCD TVs on the other hand are just PC monitors with tv tuners and stuff to make them like TVs.

One area that Plasmas and CRTs are much better at than LCDs is displaying black. LCDs have a backlight and to display black the screen has to block the backlight. This is never perfect and it always appears grey. Plasmas and CRTs however do not have backlights, the light is created by the phosphor itself. Therefore black is displayed as black, because no light is there in the first place.

Well, newer LCD's such as the Sonys and Samsungs have great image enhancing software to really make the blacks equal to those of CRT's. Each technology is best suited for different people and applications.

I went to the recent Canon Expo in Tokyo and they were showing the new SED displays.

Quite brilliant. The color and contrast of CRT with the resolution and geometry of LCDs.

They were doing a side by side comparison with LCD and Plasma TVs to show how good it really is.

The downside is that both Canon and Toshiba has indicated that the price of SED displays will be PROPORTIONAL to its picture quality, and that they will not be dragged into a price competition with the "lower quality" LCD and plasma counterparts. :laugh:

If that is the case, and judging from its picture quality, it will be pretty expensive.

And unless LCD and plasma technology makes some tremendous leap, it will not be nearly as good as SED.

As a side note, they also had a 55inch HD SED panel on display.

Well, newer LCD's such as the Sonys and Samsungs have great image enhancing software to really make the blacks equal to those of CRT's. Each technology is best suited for different people and applications.

586860588[/snapback]

Hey Bang, a while back you mentioned in some oddball thread a magazine that you read that dealt with this home theatre type stuff, care to mention what the name of that mag was? I'm interested in subscribing :p

Hey Bang, a while back you mentioned in some oddball thread a magazine that you read that dealt with this home theatre type stuff, care to mention what the name of that mag was? I'm interested in subscribing :p

586862242[/snapback]

Sound and Vision