Wireless!

Well, My dad is going crazy, his 2 macs (Powerbook & Mac G4) won't connect very fast to our router (Which works PERFECTLY with my PCs)

They work with google (most of the time) But Very slowly. It lags the most when it's first loading the site (White screen, "looking up www.blah.com")

It is configured fine, I don't see any problems :s

Seems to work ok for a while when I set it to get it's ip from DHCP, but when I do a manual IP (Which I want to do) It grinds to a halt... well... sort of..

When I plug it in via LAN, It works perfectly, but they have to be on wireless (they are all in different rooms) and Wireless on my laptop works from even further distances than the macs are at. :pinch:

This is really annoying us both, and now he is going to buy an Airport Express base station or something silly which will muff up everything for my PC set up :angry:

Any ideas as to how to fix these annoying network problems? :huh:

I'm assuming this is a 802.11B/G setup. Do you happen to have both types running? i.e. B and G clients? If so, you could experience a problem in that 802.11G backs down to 802.11B in a mixed mode enviroment. If you have a B client it will drop the Gs to 11Mbps.

Of course, 11Mbps is faster than most internet connections, but I'd check the load on the other machines. Wireless is a broadcast arrangement, (think "hub" here, as opposed to a switch) so if you have alot of clients, that 11Mbps is split amongst all clients, not from point to point.

An AirPort Express won't "muff up" your PC setup. In fact, I've found them to be the best cross-platform wireless hubs I've ever used. Great range, extremely fast, extremely reliable.