[Tennis]Martina Hingis to return

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former world number one Martina Hingis is to return to professional tennis next year.

"I was never happy my injuries cut my career short and ultimately forced my decision to step away from tennis," said the 25-year-old Swiss in a statement issued by her agents Octagon on Tuesday.

"I have enjoyed my time away from the court, a period that has allowed me to experience a different side of life.

"However, I miss the game and the challenge of competing at the highest level of tennis, and I want to gauge whether I can stay healthy and compete against today's top players."

Hingis, winner of five grand slam singles titles, retired in late 2002 because of injury.

Source:Reuters.com

Hingis to get wildcard

Sportal

Three-time Australian Open champion Martina Hingis will be offered a wildcard entry for January's tournament in Melbourne.

The offer comes after the former tennis sensation revealed plans earlier in the week to return to the professional circuit.

Hingis retired from the game in 2002 after a series of injuries cut short her successful career, which included five Grand Slam titles.

Australian Open Tournament boss Paul McNamee believes Hingis would be a fantastic addition to the already promising lineup.

"She'll be very popular and very welcome, but she has not finalised her plans as to when she's returning," he told the BBC.

"We're hoping it's in Australia, but it's not a fait accompli."

Despite competing lucratively at the highest level, Hingis is adamant she will not be looking for world titles or No.1 rankings at the start of her return.

Source:sportal.com.au

Go Marti :yes:

honeslty, i don't think she will last long. the game has changed a lot in the past few years, i don't think she has the power to keep up.