Dell 3007WFP

lol, most of you talk like you havn't seen the apple 30" before...

I am just wondering the difference that will spawn between both models :/ I wonder if they'll both use the same panels (lg I think)

apple had it for like 3 years now

And therefore the PC has had it for 3 years as well, since you can run the Apple displays on a PC. Or didn't you know that?

People are excited because this will be a BETTER display than the Apple branded one and substantially CHEAPER.

You are hereby "clued in". Welcome.

Its complete bullcrap.

Short for high-bandwidth digital-content protection, a specification developed by Intel for protecting digital entertainment content that uses the DVI interface. HDCP encrypts the transmission of digital content between the video source, or transmitter -- such as a computer, DVD player or set-top box -- and the digital display, or receiver -- such as a monitor, television or projector. HDCP is not designed to prevent copying or recording of digital content but to protect the integrity of content as it is being transmitted.

Implementation of HDCP requires a license obtainable from the Digital Content Protection, LLC, which then issues a set of unique secret device keys to all authorized devices. During authentication, the receiver will only accept content once it demonstrates knowledge of the keys. Furthermore, to prevent eavesdropping and stealing of the data, the transmitter and receiver will generate a shared secret value that is consistently checked throughout the transmission. Once authentication is established, the transmitter encrypts the data and sends it to the receiver for decryption.

I wanna know the price :(

If i were to get an LCD without this HDCP crap, what wouldnt i be able to do? play certain HD dvds? HD content from where? the net? I just want to know my limitations, as i watch either normal dvds or divx avis and such, would i really be effected by this?

And therefore the PC has had it for 3 years as well, since you can run the Apple displays on a PC. Or didn't you know that?

People are excited because this will be a BETTER display than the Apple branded one and substantially CHEAPER.

Wasn't it not until recently that dual-link dvi became available for the PC?

Why regret what you buy? That HDCP is just bullcrap anyways. Just go to the movie theatre to watch it instead then. And are you going to watch media 24/7 on your computer? I certainly play games and do other things like Word processing or Internet browsing more than watching a movie or something.

dL

Why regret what you buy? That HDCP is just bullcrap anyways. Just go to the movie theatre to watch it instead then. And are you going to watch media 24/7 on your computer? I certainly play games and do other things like Word processing or Internet browsing more than watching a movie or something.

dL

thats what im thinking, how much will this really affect people? take me for example- i play the occasional game, do graphic design, watch divx TV recordings that i miss when im out and watch the occasional dvd, how will this new protection stuff effect me?

you may not be able to watch the occasional dvd anymore iof those dvd's are using HDCP based on what I know. Most other forms of media will work.

It'll prob be a lil while before any providers support HDCP anyway. It'd be suicide since only very recent monitors support it at all

yeah so i guess for me this HDCP isnt a big deal, well right now anyways- hehehe well this helps me with one decision- i was contemplating getting 2x 2001fp vs. 1x 2405, now the possibility of 2x 2405 has come up since they may drop in price with the arrival of this new lcd! ... wait a sec... this also begs the question... 3x 2001fp? ;) :p hahahahaha

dont insult the best company in the world

If I were you guys I wouldn't be worried about HDCP.

It will be cracked.

i dont know man, this new sceme seems way too complex with different things converting and talking to each other using codes and sign lanuage! :p

Wasn't it not until recently that dual-link dvi became available for the PC?

No. It has been on the same level of high end cards that the Mac and PC have used (since they are made by the same companies, ATI and Nvidia) for the same length of time. Even my Quadro FX 2000 has a dual-link DVI interface on it and it is some three years old now.

dont insult the best company in the world

oxymoron :)

It will be cracked.

I'm not sure that's true. CSS was only cracked so fast because a company stupidly released its key which allowed the whole thing to be torn wide open. HDCP might take longer than you think to be defeated.

yeah so i guess for me this HDCP isnt a big deal, well right now anyways- hehehe well this helps me with one decision- i was contemplating getting 2x 2001fp vs. 1x 2405, now the possibility of 2x 2405 has come up since they may drop in price with the arrival of this new lcd! ... wait a sec... this also begs the question... 3x 2001fp? ;) :p hahahahaha

Dude - what you really want is one 2405 in the middle and a 2001 either side. Sweet.

Ummm, good news!

Two things 4 me:

1) new extra wide 30" monitor is coming... (i like that hi-gadgets ;))

2) price 4 my future purchase 2405FPW will be lower and cheaper after this rls :D

P.S. And yes, my opinion 2405FPW is really enough for end-user and even for designers...i cant imagine why do u need 30" monitor?

oh no, my 2405FPW is depreciated :'(

*throws his monitor out the window and waits for dell to release it's next beauty*

Where do you live ?

Im going to be waiting under your window. :woot:

It will be cracked.

I don't think you understand how HDCP works. Yes it theoretically could be cracked, but to do so it has to be cracked either via harware sitting between the monitor and the cable box, or it has to be cracked on the cable box itself.

It will be cracked.

I don't think so... at least not directly. More than likely it will be stripped from the material so you'll have to download/pirate your hi-def movies.... hopefully by then we'll have more bandwidth so that it will be more feasable to do so. You won't be able to play movies you actually buy on a 2405fpw so you'll have to pirate them. Smart eh?