Newbee network setup question

Hi all. I'm embaressed to ask this question but here goes.

A friend has just built a new house and has asked me to help with the network setup.

He has multiple cat 5E cables to the various rooms and they all converge to one spot, where he plans to put the ADSL modem, and networking gear, but NOT a computer.

I know how to connect the modem. I know to use a switch to distrubute to the different outlets. But where / how does a router fit into this scheme? I assume something has to allocate IP addresses and I assume this is the router.

Any advice or a simple diagram would be most appreciated.

Thanks !

Hi all. I'm embaressed to ask this question but here goes.

A friend has just built a new house and has asked me to help with the network setup.

He has multiple cat 5E cables to the various rooms and they all converge to one spot, where he plans to put the ADSL modem, and networking gear, but NOT a computer.

I know how to connect the modem. I know to use a switch to distrubute to the different outlets. But where / how does a router fit into this scheme? I assume something has to allocate IP addresses and I assume this is the router.

Any advice or a simple diagram would be most appreciated.

Thanks !

Depending on how many ports the router has, you can switch it for the ....switch. :p

The switch does join everything up, but the router has actual functionality, like dhcp, firewall etc...

here's mine : index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=139930

the switch does not have to be there

Now that would really depend on if the router in question has a built in switch and or how many ports it provides to the number of devices that need to connect -- now wouldn't it ;)

Say for example the linksys BEFSR11 - it only has 1 lan port.. so yes the switch would be needed to add more than 1 computer... Or what if you had 6 devices? And your routers builtin switch only provides 4 ports? ;)

With the first question being that there are "mutiple" Cat 5E runs to the various rooms.. and that the poster knows were to put in the switch to connect them all, it would seem likely this setup will need a switch between the router and devices to add ports..

Now that would really depend on if the router in question has a built in switch and or how many ports it provides to the number of devices that need to connect -- now wouldn't it ;)

Say for example the linksys BEFSR11 - it only has 1 lan port.. so yes the switch would be needed to add more than 1 computer... Or what if you had 6 devices? And your routers builtin switch only provides 4 ports? ;)

With the first question being that there are "mutiple" Cat 5E runs to the various rooms.. and that the poster knows were to put in the switch to connect them all, it would seem likely this setup will need a switch between the router and devices to add ports..

For example, if you have 5 PCs that all need Gigabit connectivity among each other, then yes, the switch needs to be there... :D

For example, if you have 5 PCs that all need Gigabit connectivity among each other, then yes, the switch needs to be there... :D

Exactly! - another fine example of why a switch would need to be there :D